PDA

View Full Version : Durability of PowerBook Screen

kanpachi
Mar 11, 2005, 08:03 PM
Hello,
I was curious to know how durable the PowerBook screen is. I have some grime on it and when I use my fingers to rub the dirt off, there's that bleeding paint that appears because I press on the screen. It seems that no matter how little pressure I apply on the screen, this will happen. Is this okay for the LCD screen? It's discomforting to see that bleeding paint image appear when applying slight pressure.

Would appreciate any comments on this matter. Thanks.

Sutekidane
Mar 11, 2005, 09:21 PM
Well, that 'bleeding paint' effect is in all LCD type displays. I don't recommend touching your lcd unless you're cleaning it. Its normal to do that when you put pressure on it. I've put pressure on lcd displays before when I was stupid and never managed to break any of them, so you should be safe. Just avoid cleaning the screen with a paper towel, because it'll scratch the screen. Just don't abuse it, and it'll be fine.

Monk Edsel
Mar 12, 2005, 09:50 PM
I use a paper towel on my LCD and I've yet to scratch it. :D

kanpachi
Mar 12, 2005, 11:36 PM
I use a paper towel on my LCD and I've yet to scratch it. :D

You use a Bounty-type paper towel to clean your monitor? Wow, I heard it's pretty bad for the screen, but awesome to hear that the PB screens are durable. :D

Sun Baked
Mar 12, 2005, 11:47 PM
You use a Bounty-type paper towel to clean your monitor? Wow, I heard it's pretty bad for the screen, but awesome to hear that the PB screens are durable. :DJust use something a lot softer than the toilet paper available in government buildings. :eek:

If you've used the institutional stuff, you know how abrasive paper products can be. ;)

debroglie
Mar 12, 2005, 11:54 PM
Just use something a lot softer than the toilet paper available in government buildings. :eek:

If you've used the institutional stuff, you know how abrasive paper products can be. ;)

I live in a dorm with community bathrooms... I am very aware of what you are talking about :eek:

:o

Duff-Man
Mar 13, 2005, 12:12 AM
Duff-Man says...your Powerbook screen (or for that matter, any other laptop screen) is not going to hold up very well if you try to clean it by rubbing your grimey fingers on it. Do yourself (and your Powerbook) a favour and go buy some proper cleaner, like iKlear for your screen before you do some damage that will cost you much more $$ to fix...oh yeah!

killuminati
Mar 13, 2005, 02:27 AM
Just avoid cleaning the screen with a paper towel, because it'll scratch the screen. Just don't abuse it, and it'll be fine.

What should be used to clean it then. I was wondering what I could use without having to buy anything like iKlear.

kanpachi
Mar 13, 2005, 05:18 AM
Duff-Man says...your Powerbook screen (or for that matter, any other laptop screen) is not going to hold up very well if you try to clean it by rubbing your grimey fingers on it. Do yourself (and your Powerbook) a favour and go buy some proper cleaner, like iKlear for your screen before you do some damage that will cost you much more $$ to fix...oh yeah!

I did use iKlear on my laptop screen, but it ended up leaving all this disgusting residue on it after I dried it off. I tried applying it again, but to no avail. Plus on top, the iKlear couldn't even get rid of some solidified dirt on the screen -- the only way I could get it off was by using my fingers. This was definitely not a desired way of removing the grime, but I wasn't left with much of a choice. The iKlear tissue is too soft and doesn't have enough friction, so it can't remove solidified dirt. I also tried to get the dirt off by having the iKlear napkin between my fingernail and the screen, but the lack of friction between the napkin and screen makes it too difficult. Cleaning the screen was a frustrating experience, but in the end, the best cleaning method was using water with a lint-free cloth. This is what I recommend for those who don't want to take the risk of getting residue on their screen.

Going slightly off topic here, does anyone know how frequently the Apple Store replaces their display models? I've seen people abuse the monitors by pressing really hard on them with their fingers when pointing, picking up the laptop and putting them down fairly rough, among other things. Seems to me that the PB can take a lot of damage.

nerdykarim
Mar 13, 2005, 07:29 AM
What should be used to clean it then. I was wondering what I could use without having to buy anything like iKlear.

i was under the impression that the best/least expensive way to clean a laptop screen was with a soft cloth and lens cleaner from an optical store. (just an optical soft cloth and lens cleaner)

if you work in a lab or a school or something, grab some fiber-free cleaning cloths and make some lens cleaner (which i believe is 50% isopropyl alcohol and 50% water)

i've used optical solution for a long time and it works very well.