PDA

View Full Version : iMac G3 Ethernet? (OSX 10.3

Cyclo0n
May 9, 2011, 01:27 PM
Hi again!
Is it possible to run an ethernet connection (LAN) on my iMac G3. It has 96mb of Ram. After inserting the lan cable it doesn't do anything. Even after I insert all the data in system preferences (got the data from my macbook).

Will this mean that my ethernet card is dead?

Thanks in advance!

GimmeSlack12
May 9, 2011, 01:30 PM
In the System Prefs>Networking the ethernet port should turn at least yellow when a cable is plugged in. It will turn green when getting an IP from your router. Are you sure auto-DCHP is turned on?

Any of this happening? If it's red or if the ethernet isn't showing up at all then its possible the ethernet card is dead.

Cyclo0n
May 10, 2011, 01:54 AM
Is it possible that it's because of the lid on the LAN cable is missing? Its the small lid which keeps the LAN cable in its place?

Thanks in advance!

Cyclo0n
May 10, 2011, 03:42 PM
So after trying all kinds of things it seems that the ethernet card is dead. What would be a good solution? Buying a new ethernet card or is an airport card better?

Thanks in advance

GimmeSlack12
May 10, 2011, 11:50 PM
Probably best off getting an airport card or even a wireless USB dongle. Not sure the process on replacing an iMac G3 ethernet card (if its possible).

Cyclo0n
May 12, 2011, 03:34 AM
Probably best off getting an airport card or even a wireless USB dongle. Not sure the process on replacing an iMac G3 ethernet card (if its possible).

Okay great thanks! Think I got an USB dongle somewhere. If that would work :D