PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 Screen Problem

-tWv-
May 9, 2011, 05:59 PM
I just bought an 1.07ghz iBook G4 off of a friend for cheap because the screen doesn't work and he didn't want to spend the time trying to fix it. The computer is still fully functional, and the backlight on the screen even still works, but the screen is constantly gray/white and doesn't show a picture. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be and how difficult/expensive it would be to replace it?

AWallen90
May 10, 2011, 02:56 PM
I just bought an 1.07ghz iBook G4 off of a friend for cheap because the screen doesn't work and he didn't want to spend the time trying to fix it. The computer is still fully functional, and the backlight on the screen even still works, but the screen is constantly gray/white and doesn't show a picture. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be and how difficult/expensive it would be to replace it?

Take a screen shot to see if the problem is hardware. CMD-Shift-3. The Lvds cable may need replaced. Or it could be the LCD itself. I have experience working on these screens and the best thing i can say is make sure you have a clean working area and remember where everything goes, there are A lloooottt of screws.

AWallen90
May 10, 2011, 02:59 PM
Forgot to explain if the images returns from a screen shot all messed up like the screen then your screen is fine and you need to reseed the GPU. Otherwise look into the LVDS and LCD. Search youtube for gpu failure on ibooks.

4JNA
May 10, 2011, 03:10 PM
i've fixed/supported ibooks for years. this sounds like a dead LCD panel to me. could be the cable, but if you wiggle it back and forth gently with no change, then i'd be money on a dead LCD (actually to be more accurate, a dead control board, but you can't remove/replace the control board).

good news is if i'm right, it's an easy job to remove the the display cover/housing and swap out the panel with a same/replacement. no need to take the whole thing apart which is a lot more involved. best of luck.