Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
In can't believe how expensive the iPad stands can be. Griffin makes three kinds, all of which are $30. They're nothing more than pieces of plastic and some metal. Most kinds of iPad stand are designed like plate holders and those things aren't that expensive.

What do you think their profit margin is like? 400%?

I'm trying to find a suitable substitute for an iPad stand. Not willing to pay more than $10.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
In can't believe how expensive the iPad stands can be. Griffin makes three kinds, all of which are $30. They're nothing more than pieces of plastic and some metal. Most kinds of iPad stand are designed like plate holders and those things aren't that expensive.

I'm trying to find a suitable substitute for an iPad stand. Not willing to pay more than $10.

You think that's bad? Try this one for $139. ;)

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
You paid over $700 for an ipad but you can't swing more than $10 for a case? You're not going to find a case/stand for that little. The best you can hope to do is something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10843&cs_id=1084301&p_id=8052&seq=1&format=2

or

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10843&cs_id=1084301&p_id=6927&seq=1&format=2

It's a question about worth. The iPad is worth $800 but a simple plate stand isn't. Your mistake is weighing the monetary value of the two items as if they were the same worth/value.

And by the way, I'm talking about a stand, not a case.

I was at Ross today and noticed a case that originally sold for $60 or $70 was now being sold at $12.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011

I just dropped $600+ on an ipad2 and the last thing I want to do is buy a worthless cheap $10 stand that will fall over at the slightest touch and/ or scratch the back of this very expensive device.

$30 is cheap my friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.