Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
I need a digital compact and currently looking at Canon S95 - I like that it's compact (more compact than the Olympus XZ-1 which I think is probably a better device).

I have an iPhone 3G so will upgrade to the new iPhone as soon as it's ready.
I lost my last camera 6 months ago (6 year old slim Sony Cybershot).

1. I value compactness (eg fits in trouser pocket ideally)
2. Image quality
3. HD Video essential

Should I just wait till the next iPhone if I can? It seems a bit crazy to be getting a separate camera - or do people find it still useful to have a dedicated device?

I am a creative person so images are important to me - I take about 25/week just from walking around and I do need to document projects/objects etc.

Grateful for any advice thanks.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
How familiar are you with camera technology?

Are you aware of how small the sensor is in a phone, as compared to the average DSLR? Even an APS/crop sensor dwarfs a cellphone camera sensor. My D700's sensor is over a third again bigger than that. These are not small differences.

I just shot at 12,800 ISO this past Friday, and not just for the hell of it. No phone camera will be able to do that for a very long time. However, small point and shoots are on the way out, and will be replaced by phone cameras within a few years.

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
I think for some people that may have already happened.

It all depends on how willing people are to trade image quality for size and to collapse two devices into one. I see a lot of people in NYC taking snaps with their iphone or other similar devices and then it jumps up to a super zoom or DSLR. Don't see many of the very small and crappy P&S digicams.

Of course when you compare the technical specs of most actual cameras to the iphone's camera the iphone is going to fall short. Some people don't care about that, though.

I personally only use the camera to take movies of my dog running around the yard, which fascinates me. The still camera function is too slow for me.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
For me, the iPhone is a better camera than a point and shoot because of the idea that "the best camera is the camera you have with you." It's fine for pictures of my kid doing something cute 3-6 feet away from me in daylight, pictures to remind myself to do something (look up this book, research this refrigerator), etc. You can print pics from an iPhone 4 at 5x7 and they look acceptable. When I want to take pictures that mean more to me, which is usually but not always the case, I take out the DSLR. The point and shoot camera is now my 4-year old's camera, since at this point neither my wife nor I would ever use it.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
How familiar are you with camera technology?

Are you aware of how small the sensor is in a phone, as compared to the average DSLR? Even an APS/crop sensor dwarfs a cellphone camera sensor. My D700's sensor is over a third again bigger than that. These are not small differences.

I just shot at 12,800 ISO this past Friday, and not just for the hell of it. No phone camera will be able to do that for a very long time. However, small point and shoots are on the way out, and will be replaced by phone cameras within a few years.

*I* see your point. I have a DSLR and I am slowly saving for a full-frame because I appreciate the differences and artistic flexibility. That said you didn't really address the OP's question. I also think you're a little short sighted about picture taking and gear. For the OP a D700 may be *worse* thank iPhone because hauling that camera around with the heavy/fast glass, etc. would not work with his life style.

There are some fantastic images out there taken on an iPhone. Just google iPhone fashion shoot. Remember photography is about capturing the light bouncing off a subject. Those are three points of triangle so the subject and lighting matter as much as the device capturing them.

To the OP: I'm guessing you take mostly snapshots of your friends, family, etc. A lot of those are in decent (hopefully natural) light and it sounds like having a camera you can take everywhere is a top priority. I think the iPhone may preclude the need for a point-and-shoot. It will still have limitations. The sensor will be slightly worse than what you can get on an S95 (and certainly worse than a APS sized sensor like an NEX or DSLR camera). Those are limiting factors quality wise, but if you don't care about depth of field, printing large images, or shooting in RAW modes I think you're fine. The iPhone does not have an optical zoom and is not likely to get one anytime soon.

I'm with you, I'm holding off upgrading my point-and-shoot because the camera quality of the iphone is close enough to a point-and-shoot that convenience trumps quality here. Of course we can't say exactly what the images of the camera will look like yet.

I would suggest making it a point to take a lot of pictures with your 3Gs and see how your feel about the process. I can't imaging the new iPhone will be drastically different--just *slightly* higher quality in the end. If you don't like the process of taking images with the 3GS then perhaps you do want a high-end point-and-shoot (or even lower DSLR or M4/3 or NEX for when flexibility and quality do matter more)

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
When comparing the iPhone 4 camera to a dedicated point and shoot, there are a couple of trade offs - both options have some advantages.

The iPhone is certainly more portable and as someone else said "it's the camera you have with you". Image quality is good, video is good. Over all a good choice. It really can't be beat when you are on the go - or when you forget the point and shoot. I find the video works especially well.

The point and shoot however, would give you an optical zoom, more controls and a better flash. As a dedicated camera, the controls are usually easier to use and it is easier to hold the camera still when taking pictures. If you want to set things like shutter speeds, aperture, exposure, etc, then you are going to want a point and shoot.

For me, I take casual pictures with my iPhone, and I would take "event" pictures (Birthdays, Christmas, Graduation, etc) with my point and shoot. The point and shoot features outweigh the portability issues here for me.

If you have a higher end point and shoot (like the S95), then I would think you would still want to use that for the most important pictures.

Since you don't have a point and shoot now, I would try out the iPhone 4 camera and see how it works for you, and if you feel like you want more for certain pictures, then look at getting a dedicated camera for those shots. If most of your shots are things you take spontaneously when you are out for a walk, I think you will find you use the iPhone more often, because you always have it with you.

MrSnipes

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
Canada
The S95 is at the top of the compacts. It takes fantastic photos. To be honest, if you are keen on photography... you might just want all 3 (iPhone, S95, DSLR). iPhone because of the 'best camera' idea, which I like. Indoor, low light, high dynamic range and a fantastic lens but still fits in your pocket - S95. Serious event and you don't mind lugging your DSLR with you - best. But you'll likely have the iPhone on you all the time, the S95 a lot of the time and the DSLR .... only when you know the event/situation warrants it.

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Thanks for all replies. Am leaning towards the Olympus XZ-1 as a compromise between image quality and portability.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
The iPhone 4's HDR feature produces pretty vibrant images. It might fulfill your needs: can you borrow a friend's phone and shoot some images?

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
While reading this thread it occurred to me that similar conversation may have taken place in 1925 when the first Leica came out. The image quality was by far inferior to what the 4x5 and 8x10 "real" cameras could produce. I read that many serious photographers at the time turned their noses up at it and labeled it a toy.

However, you could put a Leica into a pocket and always have it with you, like we all do with our iPhones.

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
for many people the mobile phone has already replaced a "real" camera. for example; there was a major storm in my area last night. a ton of people posted pictures online of the storm as it was taking place. nearly all of these photos were off of people's mobile phone, even people who were at home at the time. often times i see people at youth ball games and other events snapping away with their phone. i must look pretty strange at these same events with my 7d and big white lenses.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
My phone is always with me. My digital camera is not. My iPhone4 takes good pictures in good light but is not going to win any awards. The difference is if I'm out taking pictures or if I just happen to need to take a picture. If you plan to go out and take pictures, you need a camera, even a cheap $100 simple point and shoot is better than the phone camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.