PDA

View Full Version : Registering a domain to use as an e-mail with SL Server

JonHimself
May 10, 2011, 08:24 AM
I've searched through the forums as well as Google and can't seem to get a clear answer on this. I'd like to register a domain and then use SL Server to host an e-mail service for a few friends. Is this possible?
I'm not asking for help on how to set it up (there is a ton of information about that) but can't seem to get confirmation - if I register "exampledomain.com", can I use SL Server to create, host and administer several e-mail email addresses of jonhimself@exampledomain.com?

etchtech09
May 10, 2011, 09:55 AM
Yes, of course.

Now, with that said, you will have a few steps in front of you.

First, setup SL for mail services before you start and test it internally to make sure that you are getting what you want out of it. You can do this by specifying your internal IP in your mail client while connected to your internal network.

Second, when you register your domain name, they typically like you to have two DNS servers ready to supply the DNS for your domain. Some will do this for you, others you need to have it setup. SL can do your DNS for you, and you can just put the supply the same server twice, but this will depend on the service that you are using.

Third, you need to make sure that your server can be seen from the outside. This can involve getting a static ip or using a service like DDNS, and then forwarding the appropriate ports on your modem/router/firewall (or whatever combination of devices that you are using) for the mail service that you setup in the beginning (IMAP vs POP3 and SMTP).

These steps are just a glimpse at the work that you are getting yourself into. I found it fun and entertaining, but some might not see it so.

thankins
May 10, 2011, 12:09 PM
I've searched through the forums as well as Google and can't seem to get a clear answer on this. I'd like to register a domain and then use SL Server to host an e-mail service for a few friends. Is this possible?
I'm not asking for help on how to set it up (there is a ton of information about that) but can't seem to get confirmation - if I register "exampledomain.com", can I use SL Server to create, host and administer several e-mail email addresses of jonhimself@exampledomain.com?

Yes you can - you would just setup the mail server for your domain and then point the MX DNS record to your static IP that your Mac Mini is

JonHimself
May 11, 2011, 07:28 PM
Yes, of course...

Thanks for the tips! I have a static ip, port forwarding won't be an issue and I've messed around with the DNS stuff before with other domains so I'm sure that I can figure that out. I'm relieved to know that ultimately it will be possible... I'll just have to spend some time reading a bunch of guides!

JonHimself
May 11, 2011, 07:28 PM
Yes you can - you would just setup the mail server for your domain and then point the MX DNS record to your static IP that your Mac Mini is

Great, thanks!