Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dont24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
Looking to buy a mini now. I've been on the fence the last couple of weeks. This will be my first Mac. Currently using an old PIII 800Mhz PC. I've read through the rumors about Tiger in April and the 512MB memory becoming standard. Not too concerned about either. I planned on getting 512MB of memory for the extra $75. Not overly concerned about paying $129 for the Tiger upgrade. My question is, does anyone think they'll upgrade the video memory to 64MB, to support some of the "features" in Tiger?

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
The mini is still in its early life so not at the moment, of course Tiger will still perform well, it has to since Apple have released it so close to the Launch of Tiger

However I feel that Apple will need to change the Higher end cards in the G5, PowerBook etc as well so that they don't end up with most of the models having the same old cards

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
If this helps, i bought a 1.25 40GB mini today, and i got 512 of crucial ram, but i havent even installed it yet. Cant say i'm suffering as a result of having 256, but i havent tried to do anything strenuous with it yet (e.g. photoshop)

I doubt they are going to improve the hardware this year. Maybe a slight speed/hd bump, but thats it i suppose. If tiger matters, wait for that.. if not buy now because you really are missing out!

BTW i've been waiting for Tiger and saving to buy an iBook. But i've been offered a new job so i bought the mini straight away and now i'm saving for a powerbook when tiger is released!

dont24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
pulsewidth947 said:
I doubt they are going to improve the hardware this year. Maybe a slight speed/hd bump, but thats it i suppose. If tiger matters, wait for that.. if not buy now because you really are missing out!
That's what I'm thinking as well. The more I think about, the more I want one today. I think I'll drive down to the local Apple Store and bring one more. I keep trying to think what additional video memory would do for me. For what I'll be using it for, surfing, email, iTunes, photo editing, transferring video tapes to DVD, burning music cds, I think this is the system for me. With the exception of video editing, I'm doing all this on my PIII 800 now. But like many people, I'm sick and tired of Windows!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.