PDA

View Full Version : Airport on powerbook 12" rev A terrible !?!

lfielder06
Mar 12, 2005, 11:43 AM
I just got a Rev A 867mhz powerbook and the airport is terrible. I can barely get reception on my home network when I am sitting 10 feet away from my router with no walls in between. It goes from 2-3 bars never all the way up unless I put it right next to the router. I have used an iBook on this network and could use it in the other room and still get great signal. Does the powerbook get that bad of reception or is something wrong with my 'book? Anyone else experienced this? please help :confused:

r6girl
Mar 12, 2005, 12:11 PM
I just got a Rev A 867mhz powerbook and the airport is terrible. I can barely get reception on my home network when I am sitting 10 feet away from my router with no walls in between. It goes from 2-3 bars never all the way up unless I put it right next to the router. I have used an iBook on this network and could use it in the other room and still get great signal. Does the powerbook get that bad of reception or is something wrong with my 'book? Anyone else experienced this? please help :confused:

i have the same powerbook and haven't had that much trouble with the airport reception. right now, i'm on the 1st floor from our house (my ae base station is on the 2nd floor) and i'm getting 3 bars. it goes down to 1 bar when i'm in our bedroom in the farthest corner of the house away from the base station, but i expect that. other than that, i don't lose the signal at all. have you checked to see that the antenna wire is firmly plugged in to your airport card? that could be the issue...

marianne

lfielder06
Mar 12, 2005, 01:30 PM
Problem solved I had to look up where the card was and the plug was barely pluged in. Thanks

KingSleaze
Mar 12, 2005, 01:42 PM
I realize that your problem has been solved, but additionally the metal frame of a powerbook has been known to reduce airport signal strength compared to what an ibook will see.

lfielder06
Mar 12, 2005, 02:34 PM
i had heard that the powerbook had worse reception but what i was experiencing was rediculous. I also think it is not so much that the powerbook gets bad reception it is that the ibook gets great reception. Very pleased with my computer now.