Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtp405

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Hey everyone

So I have a dilemma I was hoping people here would have some insight on. For a long time, I've done all my website creation in Dreamweaver. When I did this, I was making websites for myself, whether it be for my business or small endeavors.

Recently, I started a new company that deals with IT infrastructure on the hardware/software level. We basically help businesses with their IT needs. At this point, I'm very limited for time, and my primary concern is not web development. I was also really tired of Windows, which is what I use for Adobe CS5. I did a little searching and found RapidWeaver and made a nice - simple - website for my company.

Out of nowhere I now have quite a few people asking me to make websites for their businesses, and am considering making a small division of my company for this sort of thing. Here comes my problem.

The first issue I encountered is that with RapidWeaver, if my business partner wanted to access the site and make changes, they would not be reflected on my end locally. Dreamweaver would update the local pages to match the server so that was never an issue before. Now, if I upload a site and my partner makes a change, then I upload something from RapidWeaver all of his changes are overwritten.

The second issue is the extreme simplicity of the software. It's definitely nice, but if I have to do something more advanced like make a minor change to the CSS it is quite clumsy. Unless I know the CSS coding [which I do not] heavy programs like Dreamweaver are an issue with that as well.

So basically, here's what I'm asking. Is there any web development software that is more advanced than RapidWeaver but less time consuming than Dreamweaver? Something that has syncing abilities and a nice way to graphically edit CSS?

Thanks

Kaliemon

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006
Take a look at Flux by The Escapers. It's fantastic at visual editing and still gives you access to the code if you want.

digitalField

macrumors regular
May 21, 2004
portland
if you really are making websites for businesses and trying to make a division out of it you should just hire someone fulltime/part-time who knows how to code.

it will cost you a few $'s but will save you many headaches.

editing CSS and HTML are more basic skills than advanced... should be able to find someone who knows both well relatively easily.

M

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.