Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bertomactic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Santa Ana
I am trying to transfer my itunes music to a 500 gb external hard drive from my ibook (G4 1.2 ghz / 1.25 ram / 80 gb hd) by a USB connection. I created a folder on the external called My music. I opened itunes and i open the external and try to drag and drop the itues music over....... nothing happens. what am i doing wrong???????????????????????????????

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hey...i think i just figured it out......but now when i try to drag and drop i get a message that reads "External hard drive can not be modified"......now what ?????????!

Have you checked Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?
MR_SS_2011_04_GET-INFO_format_permissions.png

bertomactic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Santa Ana
Yes, you have to change the permissions to READ & WRITE.

Mac OS X - Setting Permissions

I see area where it shows " Sharing & Permissions" like Simsaladimbamba shows but i do not have any kind of access. There is nothing for me to access of click on, however i think i should mention that the External harddrive in question is NTFS formatted ( would that make a difference??????) I formatted the hard drive with MAc disk utility as Mac extended journal and now i see everything that Simsaladimbamba says i should see.............?????? i guess NTFS is just PC and Mac not playing nice in the sandbox????????......any comments???????

Nov 28, 2010
located
I see area where it shows " Sharing & Permissions" like Simsaladimbamba shows but i do not have any kind of access. There is nothing for me to access of click on, however i think i should mention that the External harddrive in question is NTFS formatted ( would that make a difference??????) I formatted the hard drive with MAc disk utility as Mac extended journal and now i see everything that Simsaladimbamba says i should see.............?????? i guess NTFS is just PC and Mac not playing nice in the sandbox????????......any comments???????

Yep, NTFS is meant for Windows, if that is what you mean with "PC".

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
  • Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
  • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
  • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)
  • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
  • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner backups of Mac internal hard drive.
  • To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
  • To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
  • Maximum file size: 8EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.