PDA

View Full Version : USB2.0 card in a QS?

kingcrowing
Mar 12, 2005, 09:58 PM
I have a 933MHz Quicksilver, it;s got 2 USB 1.1ports built in (12MBs) and i wanted to add a USB2.0 card (PCI) to it, i was wondering if it would take full advantage of the USB 2.0 speed (480MBs) or will it still be slower? thanks!

Bear
Mar 12, 2005, 10:26 PM
USB 2.0 is not all it is cracked up to be. However, yes adding a USB 2.0 card will work nicely.

I have an MDD model and the USB 2.0 card works nice, I am using an Adaptec 4 port one.

bousozoku
Mar 12, 2005, 10:33 PM
I believe you need 10.3.5 to get full speed out of the card, but my Adaptec card works fine with my printers and scanners.

Blue Velvet
Mar 13, 2005, 02:12 AM
I have an MDD model and the USB 2.0 card works nice, I am using an Adaptec 4 port one.

Bear & Bousozuku --

Any problems with sleeping the Mac?

I've heard others say here that these cards interfer with the machines' ability to go into sleep mode...

I'm also looking at putting one of these cards in my MDD 1.42.

Thanks
BV

Bear
Mar 13, 2005, 09:23 AM
Bear & Bousozuku --

I've heard others say here that these cards interfer with the machines' ability to go into sleep mode...

Thanks
BVI wouldn't know... I never put the machine to sleep. If I'm not going to be around for more than I day, I'm liely to shut it down.

Why does it get left up? It's an iTunes server, I leave mail running so I don't have a big wait when I bring it out of sleep to get mail, and so people can leave me IM's when I'm not at the computer. I do let the screen power down and let the disks spin down when they're idle.

bousozoku
Mar 13, 2005, 09:37 AM
Bear & Bousozuku --

Thanks
BV

I've been doing folding@home for the last 3 years, I wouldn't know about sleep. Besides, sleep on Mac OS X has never worked right for me, except for my new PowerBook, and that's been a limited test.

Blue Velvet
Mar 13, 2005, 09:40 AM
...I wouldn't know about sleep.

OK, thanks guys.
Just glad I'm not paying your power bills. :)