Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
I have a 933MHz Quicksilver, it;s got 2 USB 1.1ports built in (12MBs) and i wanted to add a USB2.0 card (PCI) to it, i was wondering if it would take full advantage of the USB 2.0 speed (480MBs) or will it still be slower? thanks!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
USB 2.0 is not all it is cracked up to be. However, yes adding a USB 2.0 card will work nicely.

I have an MDD model and the USB 2.0 card works nice, I am using an Adaptec 4 port one.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I believe you need 10.3.5 to get full speed out of the card, but my Adaptec card works fine with my printers and scanners.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Bear said:
I have an MDD model and the USB 2.0 card works nice, I am using an Adaptec 4 port one.

Bear & Bousozuku --

Any problems with sleeping the Mac?

I've heard others say here that these cards interfer with the machines' ability to go into sleep mode...

I'm also looking at putting one of these cards in my MDD 1.42.

Thanks
BV

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Blue Velvet said:
Bear & Bousozuku --

I've heard others say here that these cards interfer with the machines' ability to go into sleep mode...

Thanks
BV
I wouldn't know... I never put the machine to sleep. If I'm not going to be around for more than I day, I'm liely to shut it down.

Why does it get left up? It's an iTunes server, I leave mail running so I don't have a big wait when I bring it out of sleep to get mail, and so people can leave me IM's when I'm not at the computer. I do let the screen power down and let the disks spin down when they're idle.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Blue Velvet said:
Bear & Bousozuku --

Thanks
BV

I've been doing folding@home for the last 3 years, I wouldn't know about sleep. Besides, sleep on Mac OS X has never worked right for me, except for my new PowerBook, and that's been a limited test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.