Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmh1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
West Midlands
I was hoping for a little advice please.
I currently have apple TV up and running and use it for playing video and music off my mac book pro from itunes. Because of the amount of DVD's in my collection I have built a NAS with 12TB that I was intending to configure RAID 5 and store everything there using freenas. I would however like to be able to watch and listen to my collection without having my mac book running and my question is, would I be better off turning my NAS in to a hackintosh and store everything on it in itunes and share it on the LAN? Also I presume I could remote desktop in to it from my mac book to save having a monitor/keyboard etc as it would be in the loft? Sorry for the long text

rmh1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
West Midlands
I was thinking instead of using my mac book to stream to apple tv which obviously means it has to be switched on to work, I would re-build my NAS unit as a Hackintosh running OSX, itunes etc to that and leave it running in the loft, I could burn all my music and dvd's to that machine and stream to my apple tv directly without the need for my mac book pro. Do you see any issue with this approach? Also with it being in the loft it would be nice if I could log on to it remotely from my mac book over the NET to avoid having a monitor, mouse and keyboard connected.

Last edited by a moderator:

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
rmh1

In order for Apple TV to use your NAS it would have to be running iTunes. I just converted an old Window's computer into an iTunes Media Server. It's running Window's 7 and sits with no keyboard, mouse or monitor. I use remote desktop to do any work on it, but it just runs 24/7 and my library is always available. I've only had it a week or two and I really like it. I can watch movies on my iPad and use Remote on all I devices to control my library.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I use a QNAP NAS which supports AFP. iTunes is normally installed locally; after that was done I remove the folder "iTunes Media" and replaced that with a linked folder stored on the NAS.

This why I have the iTunes Library file still on my iMac but can store all files on the RAID connected via GB-Ethernet cable. No speed problems at all.

Works this way since 12 month ...

just make sure that the link is mounted each time you start our Mac.

Sometimes that didn't happend to me and I had locally new purchased stored I needed to remove manually to NAS

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Your best option would have been to buy a cheap little netback or Windows PC that runs iTunes rather than a NAS. You can attach external hard drives or something like a Drobo or a NAS to it for storage. Then you could just leave it on all the time as your iTunes server and not need to have your Macbook on plus you could run other apps a NAS cannot do. Old Windows PCs are really cheap and you probably already have one lying around. All you have to do is be able to run iTunes which has very low requirements.

Or if you don't mind paying a bit more go with the Mac Mini and use it as your iTunes server. The NAS option limits you in comparison to a real computer for the ATV2 because none of them run real iTunes. iTunes with Home Sharing makes for a great media server when used with the Apple TV.

Ever since I bought the iPad I have no use for a laptop anymore so the Mac Mini or iMac I use for my real work does double duty as my "always on" iTunes media server. They go to sleep when not being used and the Apple TV2 automatically wakes them when they are needed.

rmh1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
West Midlands
Thanks very much for all of your suggestions, they have been very helpful.
I built the NAS from mostly parts I had lying around so just had to buy the drives which I get at trade so not to bad really. I must admit I like the idea of re-configuring it as a windows 7 pc as we have several of these already in the house so remote desk top would not be an issue. Would you know if 7 can run RAID 5 as I do not fancy having to re-burn DVD's once finished?
Thanks again

enigma82

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
If you use Windows 7 Software RAID then you can only do RAID 0 or 1, RAID 5 is limited to server OS's (or separate hardware RAID cards).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.