PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G5 Dual 1.8 Photo Proccessing and Audio Work

SimonUK5
May 12, 2011, 06:23 AM
I'm lookingat getting a Powermac G5 Dual 1.8. mainly using it for Photos and Audio.

I know its an old machine but it should work fine for my purposes'.

I shoot semi-pro with a Canon 1D MARK1 which came out in 2001. I currently use a Powermac G4 500mhz to Edit RAW's from the camera. So the G5 Should be an good upgrade?

I also want to start getting into some audio Recording. I do this currently at school with a first Gen MBP Runnign Tiger and Pro Tools. I guess a g5 can run this stuff aswell, provided i get a mixer and stuff?

Whats the RAM Max on these machine? And they take standard SATA drives right?

Its gunna cost my 195 which is a fair amount of money but i'm hoping that it will be worth it. My MAX budget is around 200

Any ideas?

chrismacguy
May 12, 2011, 06:29 AM
I'm lookingat getting a Powermac G5 Dual 1.8. mainly using it for Photos and Audio.

I know its an old machine but it should work fine for my purposes'.

I shoot semi-pro with a Canon 1D MARK1 which came out in 2001. I currently use a Powermac G4 500mhz to Edit RAW's from the camera. So the G5 Should be an good upgrade?

I also want to start getting into some audio Recording. I do this currently at school with a first Gen MBP Runnign Tiger and Pro Tools. I guess a g5 can run this stuff aswell, provided i get a mixer and stuff?

Whats the RAM Max on these machine? And they take standard SATA drives right?

Its gunna cost my 195 which is a fair amount of money but i'm hoping that it will be worth it. My MAX budget is around 200

Any ideas?

Your copy of ProTools etc should run just fine on the G5 so long as its PowerPC compatible, which Im guessing it probably is. It will be a massive upgrade from your G4, and if you get either a mixer, or find a decent set of used ProTools hardware, it should work well :). They do take Standard SATA drives, and it depends, if its the original Dual 1.8 G5, it can take 8GB, if its a newer June '04 model it will only take 4GB.

SimonUK5
May 12, 2011, 06:41 AM
Your copy of ProTools etc should run just fine on the G5 so long as its PowerPC compatible, which Im guessing it probably is. It will be a massive upgrade from your G4, and if you get either a mixer, or find a decent set of used ProTools hardware, it should work well :). They do take Standard SATA drives, and it depends, if its the original Dual 1.8 G5, it can take 8GB, if its a newer June '04 model it will only take 4GB.

They lowered the amount of Ram? Weirdd haha! What does Youtube run like on the G5s? Also can it play AVI's properly? I had an iBook and it hated running AVI's :(

burnout8488
May 12, 2011, 10:25 AM
To be honest, my dual 2.0 struggles with YouTube sometimes. 480p is the max for reliable, smooth video. 720p only plays smoothly half the time, and 1080p is completely out of the question.

Bloodstar
May 12, 2011, 10:52 AM
That's not to say video sucks completely on the G5s, though - while Flash is bad even on Intel machines, my mid-2004 dual 1.8 G5 can handle 720p h.264 (or whatever YT's 720p format is... I believe that's it) in VLC without much issue. I haven't tried 1080 in the Flash player, though... (in fact, even on my non-PPC machines, I rarely use higher than 360)

Out of curiosity, what video codec did those AVIs use? Sounds weird the iBook would hate the AVI container itself, instead of just the codec...

burnout8488
May 12, 2011, 11:58 AM
True, when not using Flash based video, it runs everything else fine. HD plays fullscreen in VLC for me on a 23" monitor.

chrismacguy
May 12, 2011, 12:28 PM
They lowered the amount of Ram? Weirdd

They did it as the Dual 1.8 moved from being mid-range, where it came with 8 RAM Slots, to being the new low-end, where machines only had 4 (Hence the maximum RAM reduction).

AdrianK
May 12, 2011, 12:51 PM
my mid-2004 dual 1.8 G5 can handle 720p h.264 (or whatever YT's 720p format is... I believe that's it)...

Yeah, it's H264 at ~2mbit w/ main profile, hence why it looks absolutely awful and why it's easy on 'older' CPUs.