PDA

View Full Version : Can't see 20GB 4th Gen HP iPod

Mav451
Mar 13, 2005, 02:12 AM
Update: iPod has been restored and is working. Thanks to all who provided useful advice.

alexprice
Mar 13, 2005, 09:38 AM
This has been the most frustrating experience I have had since Windows 95. All I wanted to do was USE MY FRIGGEN iPOD.

First, it tells me I need to update iTunes to 4.7 (I've been using 4.5 for several months now).

I do that. Now it says I need to update the iPod software.

I do that. I restart.

When I boot up, my iPod now has a Folder + Exclamation Point on it. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes, updating the iPod to 2005-02-22 again and again. At one point, I said what the hell, "Restore to Factory settings". Didn't help either. Nothing has worked. Now, the iPod isn't even recognized as a USB device anymore by XP. Ridiculous.

*edit*
Ok, I'm THIS close to going back to the Apple Store and returning it. Never have I had so much trouble with a product, right out of the box. I've always thought it would be nice to have an iPod, but seeing as how much of a hassle it is just to get it connected/seen by Windows, I dunno if it is worth it.

Man, I just wasted 2 hours and the iPod is still useless to me.

Ease of use? Yeah right.

Just re-install windows, then follow the instructions for the iPod (its critical!)

The problem is no the iPod, its windows!

ReanimationLP
Mar 13, 2005, 10:50 AM
I see 2 problems with this :

Its an HP iPod. :eek:
Its Windows XP. They didnt get to call it eXtra Problems for nothing you know. :D

Mav451
Mar 13, 2005, 02:02 PM
Lol.

I get 2 joke posts in the MR forums. Should I be surprised?

1) It was a gift.

2) Did I say anywhere that I was having problems with Windows XP? No. Windows XP has been fine since I installed it 2 years ago. The problem is with the iPod and solely the iPod.

If you guys can't offer anything constructive to say, save the chitter-chatter.

ReanimationLP
Mar 13, 2005, 02:09 PM
I'm just teasin.

Try plugging it into your iBook and running iTunes. Maybe that will help it. If it still doesnt work, I suggest contacting HP, since it IS a HP iPod.

amholl
Mar 13, 2005, 02:34 PM
I had the same icon on my iPod's screen (exclamation point w/ folder). Is is making a clicking noise? If it is, than it is more likely a hard disk failure. U should take it back. Also, there is a way toreboot it that might work. U have to hold down the middle button and either munu or play. I feel for you brotha. Spending time w/out ur iPod sux!

Mav451
Mar 13, 2005, 02:53 PM
All it does is turn on, show the Apple Logo >> Exclamation mark Folder, then shut down.

-_-. Looks like I'm taking it back.

JzzTrump22
Mar 13, 2005, 02:55 PM
You probably got a lemon. Just bring it back and Apple will give you a new one.

alexprice
Mar 13, 2005, 03:03 PM
Lol.

I get 2 joke posts in the MR forums. Should I be surprised?

1) It was a gift.

2) Did I say anywhere that I was having problems with Windows XP? No. Windows XP has been fine since I installed it 2 years ago. The problem is with the iPod and solely the iPod.

If you guys can't offer anything constructive to say, save the chitter-chatter.

"Now, the iPod isn't even recognized as a USB device anymore by XP. Ridiculous."

Im sure that means you using XP?

"If you guys can't offer anything constructive to say, save the chitter-chatter."

Theres no need to be rude!
Like someone else mentioned, plug it into your iBook.

skubish
Mar 13, 2005, 06:22 PM
Head over to www.ipodlounge.com (http://www.ipodlounge.com) for more ideas.

gekko513
Mar 13, 2005, 07:05 PM
I think you need to call support on this one. They will know which steps to take to diagnose the cause for the exclamation mark folder.

Here's a page on this from the apple support forum link (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61003)

gekko513
Mar 13, 2005, 07:11 PM
I doesn't look like you followed the installation instructions if you plugged your iPod in before installing the software. link (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93736)

Mav451
Mar 13, 2005, 07:13 PM
Head over to www.ipodlounge.com (http://www.ipodlounge.com) for more ideas.

Firmware update failure. Disk write error.

Looks like I can't even update or do anything anymore. Anytime I try to do "Restore" it says that, then I hear the USB "disconnect" sound.

After about 5seconds, I hear the "connect" sound and the iPod is again detected as USB device.

Man...if all iPod updates are this unreliable; alrite i'll stop there.

*Ridiculous*
That's all I can say. Apple claims "Plug & Pray", yet the irony is that their products are the WORST of that. USB hard drives, game controllers, printers all are true "Plug and Play". There is no one to blame but Apple for putting a ***** load of extra hoops/obstacles in letting PC users use an iPod.

I am not your typical PC user and even I'm running into problems. What does that say for Apple. Hmm?

Bonsaichop
Mar 13, 2005, 07:18 PM
Firmware update failure. Disk write error.

Looks like I can't even update or do anything anymore. Anytime I try to do "Restore" it says that, then I hear the USB "disconnect" sound.

After about 5seconds, I hear the "connect" sound and the iPod is again detected as USB device.

Man...if all iPod updates are this unreliable; alrite i'll stop there.

Have you actually tried it in your ibook? It might beformatted in HFS or whatever it is.

Try plugging it in your ibook and running the disk check utility.

Mav451
Mar 13, 2005, 07:20 PM
Have you actually tried it in your ibook? It might beformatted in HFS or whatever it is.

Try plugging it in your ibook and running the disk check utility.

My iBook is at home. This iPod was originally formatted on my mother's Compaq at home...so I'm sure it is a Windows supported format. Even put some of her favorite songs on there cuz she wanted to hear some herself.

Bonsaichop
Mar 13, 2005, 07:24 PM
so let me get this straight (sorry trying to help)

1) You havn't tested the ipod in your ibook.
2) It did work in your mother's Compaq.
3) It doesnt pick up on your PC.
4) When you plug it on your pc an exclamation mark is next to the drive. The USB Connects/Disconnects?

Bonsaichop
Mar 13, 2005, 07:31 PM
ok 3 suggestions.

1) by overclocking your cpu by the fsb have you kept your pci bus around 33mhz? If you overclock your PCI bus too high your USB is effected aswell. This is probably not the case.

2) Is it plugged in your USB2.0 connection? 4th gens do not work well if at all on USB1.1 or USB 1.0

3) What other devices are connected to your USB Ports. I.e. external hdds, scanners, web cams mice etc? I had a similar problem, it was because I had a 2.5" ide drive on my USB aswell, because the 2.5" Drive used its power from the USB BUS the IPOD could not charge or keep active over the USB BUS and subsequently turned on/off and wasnt able to access the drive.

Try Disconnecting all USB devices except your mouse. and give the ipod a whirl. If it works, add 1x USB device at a time until the ipod starts going on the fritz again then you know what device must be disconnected while the IPOD is connected.

Mav451
Mar 13, 2005, 07:38 PM
ok 3 suggestions.

1) by overclocking your cpu by the fsb have you kept your pci bus around 33mhz? If you overclock your PCI bus too high your USB is effected aswell. This is probably not the case.

2) Is it plugged in your USB2.0 connection? 4th gens do not work well if at all on USB1.1 or USB 1.0

3) What other devices are connected to your USB Ports. I.e. external hdds, scanners, web cams mice etc? I had a similar problem, it was because I had a 2.5" ide drive on my USB aswell, because the 2.5" Drive used its power from the USB BUS the IPOD could not charge or keep active over the USB BUS and subsequently turned on/off and wasnt able to access the drive.

Try Disconnecting all USB devices except your mouse. and give the ipod a whirl. If it works, add 1x USB device at a time until the ipod starts going on the fritz again then you know what device must be disconnected while the IPOD is connected.

My nForce2 locks the PCI/AGP busses at 33/66Mhz respectively. That is not an issue. The OC in my signature is a MAX, not a 24/7 setting. I run 24/7 at 12 x 203, and that is VERY stable.

In terms of a USB connectivity problem, I don't know think that's the issue anymore. Windows XP is seeing the iPod (at least momentarily) when I connect it. It is just that after about 20-30 seconds, it will say "Ok to Disconnect", even though I never gave that command.

Bonsaichop
Mar 13, 2005, 07:44 PM
My nForce2 locks the PCI/AGP busses at 33/66Mhz respectively. That is not an issue. The OC in my signature is a MAX, not a 24/7 setting. I run 24/7 at 12 x 203, and that is VERY stable.

In terms of a USB connectivity problem, I don't know think that's the issue anymore. Windows XP is seeing the iPod (at least momentarily) when I connect it. It is just that after about 20-30 seconds, it will say "Ok to Disconnect", even though I never gave that command.

Wasn't saying your overclock wasnt stable, I have a 3.2ghz p4 runnning at 4.1 happily, just some chipsets do not lock the agp/pci bus frequencies which can cause irratic behaviour with your usb and pci/agp cards.

Are you sure there are no other devices plugged in? Ive just tried plugging my ipod + external hdd and im getting some very colorful errors at the moment. However if i plug them individally they run fine.

skubish
Mar 13, 2005, 07:49 PM
Do you have the iPod plugged into a powered USB or unpowered? It needs to be in a powered USB port.

Mav451
Mar 13, 2005, 07:49 PM
Ok, now my iPod is stuck on "Ok to disconnect".

When I connect the iPod, I hear the "USB Connect" sound, followed by "USB Error".

It seems to be stuck on "Ok to Disconnect", whether or not I connect it to USB, it doesn't change.

Mav451
Mar 13, 2005, 07:50 PM
Do you have the iPod plugged into a powered USB or unpowered? It needs to be in a powered USB port.

Its running through the motherboard directly. When the iPod WAS working (like 10min), the recharge battery bar WAS moving.

Mav451
Mar 13, 2005, 08:18 PM
I got it to work, finally.

3 things happened simultaenously:

1) Move to USB connector on the motherboard back panel.
2) (hehe) Uninstallation of "said" programs.
3) Clean install of iPod updater from Apple website.

*Oh, and disconnect iPod until Updater is installed.*

This time, when I tried to "Restore", it works. Then, all I need to do is reflash by connecting it to the iPod DC Charger.

Ugh...what a day.

ReanimationLP
Mar 13, 2005, 10:20 PM
Glad to hear its working for you. Odd that it was so hard to get it to work though, normally they are very easy to get set up and running.

Mav451
Mar 13, 2005, 10:29 PM
Well see here's the thing.

1) I was accustomed to USB devices working out-of-the-box. The iPod CAN'T do that (at least on the PC).

2) The issue with NOT connecting the iPod before you have that iPod Updater App installed >> It is a VERY big deal they did not emphasize enough. Without it, Windows doesn't know what to do with the iPod.

When I finally got it to work, then iTunes noticed it, and let me name it, etc.

Mechcozmo
Mar 13, 2005, 10:50 PM

1) I was accustomed to USB devices working out-of-the-box. The iPod CAN'T do that (at least on the PC).

2) The issue with NOT connecting the iPod before you have that iPod Updater App installed >> It is a VERY big deal they did not emphasize enough. Without it, Windows doesn't know what to do with the iPod.

I've connected a brand-new 3G iPod to a WinXP box over USB 2.0 before... no issues... just installed the software that came on the CD.

stevep
Mar 14, 2005, 04:24 AM
Glad you've got it working. The issue may have been (or still is???) due to one of these.....

1. The A7n8x motherboard bios may need updating - there should be a utility available (on your m/b driver disc or from the Asus website) to check the existing bios and apply the latest update.

2.Whoever put your machine together didn't sort out the usb connections between the m/b and the front panel connectors properly. Check carefully in your m/b manual that the four connectors link to your m/b correctly - often they are seperate as opposed to being one complete moulded 4-way plug. Don't guess, as you may damage the m/b if its wrong. Trawl the net for reliable connection info.

Mav451
Mar 14, 2005, 11:23 AM
Glad you've got it working. The issue may have been (or still is???) due to one of these.....

1. The A7n8x motherboard bios may need updating - there should be a utility available (on your m/b driver disc or from the Asus website) to check the existing bios and apply the latest update.

2.Whoever put your machine together didn't sort out the usb connections between the m/b and the front panel connectors properly. Check carefully in your m/b manual that the four connectors link to your m/b correctly - often they are seperate as opposed to being one complete moulded 4-way plug. Don't guess, as you may damage the m/b if its wrong. Trawl the net for reliable connection info.

???

1) I am on the 1008 BIOS. My A7N8X2.0 is basically the rev1.06 with the C1 Southbridge chipset. Trust me, I have a very mature bios.

2) I put this machine together. I put USB thumbdrives/camera/printers/mics into the front panel connector, and it worked fine. If the iPod was anal about this, I wish they mentioned it in the manual, but then again, I'm not entirely sure it was solely the USB location (could have been the clean install and not connecting the iPod until I had iPod Updater installed).

3) I've built 3 other boxes, based on this highly reliable motherboard. Trust me, I know this board like the back of my hand.

stevep
Mar 14, 2005, 12:22 PM
Ok ok - only trying to help. If I'd realised you were that much of an expert I wouldn't have bothered to show my ignorance.

skubish
Mar 14, 2005, 07:24 PM

Plugging in a USB device before installing the software is a big No No for Windows. It can cause big problems for many devices , printers, scanners, iPods.

Mav451
Mar 14, 2005, 08:03 PM
Plugging in a USB device before installing the software is a big No No for Windows. It can cause big problems for many devices , printers, scanners, iPods.

God, how many times do I have to say this?

My PS1 :: PC converter? Worked out-of-the-box, no software install needed.
USB hard drives (more than 3 brands)? Worked out-of-the-box.
Mice/KB (both MS)? Worked-out-of-the-box.
DigiCam (old Kodak)? Worked out-of-the-box (and that was late 2002).

Is it no wonder I didn't have the foresight to install software before?

Oh, I should add my HP Printer 5650 also did not need software before connecting.

stevep
Mar 15, 2005, 03:46 AM
God, how many times do I have to say this?

I could also ask 'how many times do we have to listen to this?'
You've had a number of what I feel are very helpful replies, people have given you links to follow, and I, for one, have learnt something from these guys who've taken the trouble to post replies. Please don't diss them.
It really all boils down to the fact that you didn't RTFM - we all do that from time to time. And yes, WinXP is a bit choosy on what it likes to have plugged in - some things can be plugged straight in and other things (eg my Linksys wireless card) has to have software installed first.
Tell you what, why not chuck out that XP box and get a mac? :)

Shall we close this thread now?

eXan
Mar 15, 2005, 04:16 AM
You probably got a lemon. Just bring it back and Apple will give you a new one.

It's a HP iPod, not Apple

Mav451
Mar 15, 2005, 12:12 PM
I could also ask 'how many times do we have to listen to this?'
You've had a number of what I feel are very helpful replies, people have given you links to follow, and I, for one, have learnt something from these guys who've taken the trouble to post replies. Please don't diss them.
It really all boils down to the fact that you didn't RTFM - we all do that from time to time. And yes, WinXP is a bit choosy on what it likes to have plugged in - some things can be plugged straight in and other things (eg my Linksys wireless card) has to have software installed first.
Tell you what, why not chuck out that XP box and get a mac? :)

Shall we close this thread now?

There were some that offered very helpful advice. Others who made themselves believe they knew more about MY motherboard, my chipset. That's highly suspect being a Mac site. Its a bit condescending to accuse me of not knowing that my A7N8X has the most recent bios/drivers/etc. Very.

On the other hand, those that were not condescending the provide good advice (key: they were not newbies on this forum).

Do people still not realizing that I'm now enjoying the iPod?