PDA

View Full Version : Power mac g5 and Airplay

Foxer
May 12, 2011, 02:12 PM
I am considering buying an old PowerMac G5, loading my itunes video content onto it, and basically using it as a server for streaming around the house via Airplay. I'm maxing out my MBP disk space, and if I could offload all the video, it would solve my problem.

Is there some G5/Airplay issue that I'm not considering? Or will this work like I think it should?

Thanks

AWallen90
May 12, 2011, 02:34 PM
I am considering buying an old PowerMac G5, loading my itunes video content onto it, and basically using it as a server for streaming around the house via Airplay. I'm maxing out my MBP disk space, and if I could offload all the video, it would solve my problem.

Is there some G5/Airplay issue that I'm not considering? Or will this work like I think it should?

Thanks

I haven't used airplay on any of my powerpc computers so I cannot answer than specifically but you can load all your itunes onto the G5 and then access the music through itunes on any other computer in the house. I would like to know if airplay is supported though, ie G5 to atv2. And if you can access the content from the atv2 of if you can only send it to the atv2.

beatzfreak
May 13, 2011, 07:46 PM
Works fine. Keep in mind, many G5s don't have airport cards, mine is hooked up via ethernet to an airport extreme.