PDA

View Full Version : Just what I needed, another G4

stroked
May 12, 2011, 06:19 PM
Yesterday I was looking on CL for a G4 iMac as usual, and come across a G4 PowerBook for $125. I thought it would be nice to have a spare laptop, just in case the iBook died. Normally around here, G3 laptops are listed on CL, for 2 to 3 hundred.

I bought it, it's a 15" 1 GHz TiBook with 512 RAM, for $100. It come with an OWC battery, with 313 cycles, an Apple charger, the original OS disk(10.2), and a retail copy of 10.3. Is there any demand for Panther? These disk are in perfect shape.

I didn't like Panther, so I booted it to Tiger and Leopard, with a firewire drive. I couldn't tell any difference in speed, so I cloned my iBook HDD, with Leopard.

So far the only differences between this and my iBook (1.33GHz and 1.5 GB) are, the TiBook takes a minute and a half longer to boot, MacTubes made the TiBook lock up, and I miss two finger scrolling with the TiBook. Hopefully more RAM will fix two of those. I need 2x 512MGb to max it out.

I do have one question, and yes I did a search. Is there any way to improve the wifi reception, without a Pringles can? I did make sure that the antenna was plugged in all of the way. From searching, everyone concluded, the titanium frame was blocking the signal.

Intell
May 12, 2011, 06:37 PM
There isn't any good way on improving the reception on Ti books. While the original Airport card had some really good range, the antenna placement or lack of in the Ti books really limited its abilities.

stroked
May 13, 2011, 10:23 AM
I believe I have the older airport card. If I get a different antenna, will one from an airport extreme work?

Hrududu
May 13, 2011, 10:57 AM
You can try using a PCMCIA wireless card if you want better reception. The Airport antennas are those thin lines on the sides of the computer that you see about 3/4 of an inch from the front of the computer. The poor reception on these is why Apple bragged like crazy about moving the antenna placement on the later aluminum Powerbooks to the screen.

stroked
May 14, 2011, 11:42 AM
Will an antenna from an airport extreme, plug into an older airport card?