Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrEnalg

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
East Bay, CA
http://www.businessinsider.com/war-apple-blocks-sony-e-reader-app-kindle-might-be-next-2011-2

Just speculation at this point, but Netflix is my #1 app on the iPad and if Apple decides at some point that I can *only* consume video that :apple: hosts on their new NC datacenters, that's the end.

Better they actually *buy* Netflix with all those gobs of cash they have lying around. If they block Netflix they've lost at least half the compelling content deliverable via an AppleTV or iPad. The iTunes movie library is much smaller and I've found it just doesn't work as well as the Netflix instant watch feature.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Better they actually *buy* Netflix with all those gobs of cash they have lying around.

One problem with Apple is that they earn 60% of their revenue outside the USA, and they're too greedy to pay the tax to bring that cash into the States.

So about 36 billion of Apple's 60 billion dollars is stuck overseas, leaving them "only" 24 billion that they could use in America to buy up companies here.

What's Netflix's market cap right now, about 12 billion?

Note: I'm not a financial type, so feel free to rip and comment :)

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
One problem with Apple is that they earn 60% of their revenue outside the USA, and they're too greedy to pay the tax to bring that cash into the States.

So about 36 billion of Apple's 60 billion dollars is stuck overseas, leaving them "only" 24 billion that they could use in America to buy up companies here.

What's Netflix's market cap right now, about 12 billion?

Note: I'm not a financial type, so feel free to rip and comment :)

I would not be surprised at all if the amount trapped over seas is even higher as they have all their high paying positions here so that would pull from the cash here in the US.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Were I to buy an iPad, Netflix would be a major segment of my time spent using it. I've never gone for the iTunes model for movies, and in buying something that would essentially just be for browsing the web and watching movies, I want to be able to make use of my netflix subscription. Apple continues to frustrate with their superior product but unfriendly business architecture.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Netflix.

I'm based in Australia, and we don't have Netflix....

I'm so @$#@%, coz netflix looks really good.

Closest we have i think would be either Foxtel Movie Library steaming on demand service (connect set top box to internet), or Telstra's Bigpond Movies.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Was this discussed to death back in February (when the story broke)?

Apple Now Requiring eBook Applications With External Purchases to Also Offer In App Purchasing
Apple's made no change to its App Store Guidlines, it's simply enforcing a rule that's been in them all along: apps that offer purchases elsewhere must support in-app purchases as well. We have not changed our developer terms or guidelines," company spokesperson Trudy Miller told me. "We are now requiring that if an app offers customers the ability to purchase books outside of the app, that the same option is also available to customers from within the app with in-app purchase.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.