Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cw32781

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Question for mac experts out there:

So, I attempted to open an email from someone I know and when I did so immediately this mac protector scan opened up and said that my computer is infected with viruses and needs a "clean up". When I click on that "clean up" button it directs me to purchase a virus protection. But then a few seconds after the scan is complete it, the window closes without me closing it out. Every time I turn my computer back on, this Mac protector scan comes back on. I'm just wondering if someone is trying to scam me to purchase a Virus Scan? Or is this a real threat to my hard drive? If so, how should I proceed?
Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
Does the first section of this apply?
Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Question for mac experts out there:

So, I attempted to open an email from someone I know and when I did so immediately this mac protector scan opened up and said that my computer is infected with viruses and needs a "clean up". When I click on that "clean up" button it directs me to purchase a virus protection. But then a few seconds after the scan is complete it, the window closes without me closing it out. Every time I turn my computer back on, this Mac protector scan comes back on. I'm just wondering if someone is trying to scam me to purchase a Virus Scan? Or is this a real threat to my hard drive? If so, how should I proceed?
Thanks
It's not a virus. Did you actually install the downloaded app? If you did, you installed a trojan. Never click to allow anything that offers to clean up or remove malware from your computer, unless you know what the app is and you intentionally installed it and allowed it to run.

I know it's been posted already, but it bears repeating: Read this: Mac Virus/Malware Info, especially the first section on MacDefender. If you did install it, you can follow the other removal instructions or do it manually. The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.