PDA

View Full Version : Cube as Fileserver and Fax Machine

IJ Reilly
Mar 13, 2005, 12:25 PM
I'm considering retiring my Cube as my primary desktop Mac, but I don't want to get rid of it. I believe the Cube would make an ideal file server, and possibly a good fax receiver. I'd be running it headless. I assume headless operation isn't a problem for the Cube, but the issue then is finding an easy software solution for printing faxes received by the Cube from the other Macs on our small network. From what I've seen, VNC doesn't really cut it except for infrequent use.

Any suggestions?

Wes
Mar 13, 2005, 12:39 PM
"I assume headless operation isn't a problem for the Cube, but the issue then is finding an easy software solution for printing faxes received by the Cube from the other Macs on our small network."

Maybe I don't understand your problem but, what is stopping you from selecting a shared printer on this menu?

Saves you buying any more software...

IJ Reilly
Mar 13, 2005, 01:25 PM
"I assume headless operation isn't a problem for the Cube, but the issue then is finding an easy software solution for printing faxes received by the Cube from the other Macs on our small network."

Maybe I don't understand your problem but, what is stopping you from selecting a shared printer on this menu?

Saves you buying any more software...

Yes, I could set it up to print automatically -- but what if I don't expect the fax and the printer is turned off when it arrives? How will I know if the fax spools to the Cube, and then, how will I print it?

Wes
Mar 13, 2005, 01:39 PM
Yes, I could set it up to print automatically -- but what if I don't expect the fax and the printer is turned off when it arrives? How will I know if the fax spools to the Cube, and then, how will I print it?

I've never tried this software but Apple bundled it with computers a while ago and it will probably have all the features you want.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/productivity_tools/faxstfx.html

My printer turns itself 'on' (of out hiberation I guess) when it realises a machine is printing to it.

IJ Reilly
Mar 13, 2005, 02:06 PM
Although my experience with it is limited, I don't believe faxstf provides much more in the way of features than Panther's built-in fax capabilities. Either way, since it has to run on the headless Cube, the remote administration issue would still remain. I'm looking for something that would be automatic and transparent. I'm unfamiliar with the behaviors of Panther's built-in fax software. What happens if auto-printing is selected, but no printer can be found?

Wes
Mar 13, 2005, 02:09 PM
the remote administration issue would still remain.

You familiar with VNC? That would allow you to control the cube remotely.

jeremy.king
Mar 13, 2005, 03:31 PM
Straight from Mac Help. A great feature, BTW. ;)

"Setting up your Mac to receive faxes

You can receive faxes on your computer and specify whether you want them saved to a specific folder, forwarded via email, or automatically printed.

To receive a fax, your computer must be turned on and connected to an open telephone line. You don't have to be logged in to receive a fax, but if your computer goes to sleep, it cannot receive faxes. For more information about preventing your computer from sleeping, click "Tell me more."
1. Open System Preferences and click Print & Fax.
2. Click Faxing.
3. Select the "Receive faxes on this computer" checkbox.
4. Type your fax number in the My Fax Number field. This is used to identify your computer when you send or receive a fax.
5. Choose the number of rings before your computer answers a fax.
6. If you want your incoming faxes automatically saved to a specific folder, select the "Save to" checkbox and choose a folder from the pop-up menu.
7. If you want your incoming faxes automatically forwarded via email, select the "Email to" checkbox and type an email address in the "Email to" field. You can also choose addresses directly from Address Book by clicking the Address Book button to the right of the "Email to" field.
8. If you want your incoming faxes automatically printed, select the "Print on printer" checkbox and choose a printer from the pop-up menu."

IJ Reilly
Mar 13, 2005, 04:34 PM
I mentioned VNC in my first post. I've got some experience using it, but not much with success. It's slow and unstable. Leaving VNC turned on full-time is also a security risk.

I'm aware of how to turn on fax reception in OSX, and also the variety of output options. What I don't know is OSX's behavior if it's set to print a fax and the target printer is not turned on. If I'm going to attempt this solution, it needs to be transparent and bullet-proof -- if the fax can in any way become hung up on the headless Cube, this won't be a good solution. I'm beginning to think the most robust option would be automatic e-mailing to one of the desktop Macs, unless anyone has any other thoughts.