PDA

View Full Version : Adding a new cpu and ram...

colormesilly
May 13, 2011, 08:54 AM
My mac took a **** and I was thinking of putting in a new CPU as someone suggest I try. But I was wondering if I could put in a high cpu than the one I have in right now, and could I add more ram?
Is there any way I have to go about adding them, in incremants? Like if I add a 1.2ghz processor can I only add ram that between certain capacities?

I have an 867mhz processor (not sure about exact number) and 512mb RAM.

AdrianK
May 13, 2011, 09:51 AM
Definitely add more RAM. Your CPU does not relate to max amount of RAM, whatever the Mac can handle logically and physically is the max amount it can handle. What Mac do you have?

Upgrading the CPU is only possible on desktop machines, and it's not always a cost effective option.

stroked
May 13, 2011, 09:53 AM
My mac took a **** and I was thinking of putting in a new CPU as someone suggest I try. But I was wondering if I could put in a high cpu than the one I have in right now, and could I add more ram?
Is there any way I have to go about adding them, in incremants? Like if I add a 1.2ghz processor can I only add ram that between certain capacities?

I have an 867mhz processor (not sure about exact number) and 512mb RAM.

What specific mac do you have?

alust2013
May 13, 2011, 09:55 AM
Sounds like a quicksilver. I believe you can add up to 1.5GB RAM, regardless of processor. A new CPU would definitely be helpful though.

Dave H
May 13, 2011, 05:44 PM
An 867MHz G4 could be a Quicksilver (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_867_qs.html) or an MDD (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/links/powermac_g4_mdd.html).
MDDs are unique and can not use processors from other models (or 3rd party upgrades made for other models).

stroked
May 13, 2011, 05:50 PM
An 867MHz G4 could be a Quicksilver (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_867_qs.html) or an MDD (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/links/powermac_g4_mdd.html).

I looked at their recent post. It's a QS.

colormesilly
May 14, 2011, 07:42 AM
Yep, it's a quicksilver. Would it be able to handle a higher processor?
Also... do I have to do anything when I add new ram or a new processor? Can I just install/plug it in and start using it again?

AdrianK
May 14, 2011, 07:49 AM
Also... do I have to do anything when I add new ram or a new processor? Can I just install/plug it in and start using it again?

Yes, but as I said, upgrades on this machine might not be the most cost effective choice. Have you looked at parts?

chrismacguy
May 14, 2011, 10:20 AM
Yes, but as I said, upgrades on this machine might not be the most cost effective choice. Have you looked at parts?

They generally aren't. I see PowerMac G5s go for less than the cost of upgrading Quicksilvers to a modern CPU speed, and the G5 is more modern and a better machine all around really.

Giuly
May 14, 2011, 04:32 PM
FYI, it doesn't run i.e. YouTube properly with 1.33GHz, 1.5GB RAM and a RAID0 of two last-gen 7200RPM IDE drives.

Just get a PowerMac G5 - or a new Mac Mini.

colormesilly
May 15, 2011, 05:15 PM
From what I've seen I could get a cpu for $20 or so on ebay: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=mac+g4+cpu&_sacat=See-All-Categories

same for the ram... $20 to $30.

666sheep
May 16, 2011, 05:59 AM
You should narrow your search to Quicksilver compatible CPUs (and faster than you have now) and you'll see that prices are starting from $65 ;)

colormesilly
May 23, 2011, 04:08 PM
ok, so lets say I got a cpu picked out and want to install it.
Can I just hook it up and run the computer ready to edit videos/photos? Or is there something I have to do to get the mac to accept the new hardware?

raysfan81
May 26, 2011, 07:29 PM
Can I just hook it up and run the computer ready to edit videos/photos? Or is there something I have to do to get the mac to accept the new hardware?

If its a compatible CPU (usually depends on the fsb speed) then you can just pop it in and go. Like my MDD, I just bought a 1.42ghz dual processor daughter card from another MDD off of eBay and replaced my old single 1.25ghz one with it. Apply some thermal compound and screw the heatsink back on and you should be ready to roll. But like it was said above,
MDDs are unique and can not use processors from other models (or 3rd party upgrades made for other models).
so you would be looking at your fastest option being the dual 1.0 ghz model out of a quicksilver and not an MDD.

InuNacho
May 26, 2011, 08:42 PM

An aging G4 wouldn't be good for that kinda stuff. If your on a budget go take a look on Craigslist for a PowerMac G5, I've seen some late 05' models going for 150 or less.

chrismacguy
May 27, 2011, 06:56 AM
An aging G4 wouldn't be good for that kinda stuff. If your on a budget go take a look on Craigslist for a PowerMac G5, I've seen some late 05' models going for 150 or less.

That completely depends on which version of iPhoto/iMovie/Final Cut you wanted to run. My Dual 867 MDD is perfectly good as a video editing workstation with Final Cut Pro 4, Soundtrack Pro 1 and DVD Studio Pro 3. Its also perfectly good at photo editing under iPhoto '05/'06. If you don't mind using older software, an older G4 can handle all of that perfectly fine. (After all it *wasnt* that long ago I was using a 450Mhz G4 with FCP2 as my main video editing workhorse... that thing lasted me until 2009).

InuNacho
May 27, 2011, 11:12 PM
I know what you mean, in one of my film classes my group's machine was the same 450 with FCP 2 or 3 (can't remember). Just saying that with the price of processor upgrades you might as well get a new old machine. Unless you're purposely trying to make a pimped out G4 that can run every OS 9 game at the same time don't waste your time with the processor upgrades.

Leopard would run better on a G5 too.

eljanitor
May 27, 2011, 11:23 PM
Are you just bored, and want a project? If you really want to upgrade the G5's are a better machine and you can get them really cheap too.

chrismacguy
May 28, 2011, 05:49 AM
I know what you mean, in one of my film classes my group's machine was the same 450 with FCP 2 or 3 (can't remember). Just saying that with the price of processor upgrades you might as well get a new old machine. Unless you're purposely trying to make a pimped out G4 that can run every OS 9 game at the same time don't waste your time with the processor upgrades.

Leopard would run better on a G5 too.

As above, I already suggested getting a G5 as the cost is prohibitive to upgrade a G4. However my point was that you don't have to have a G5 or Intel machine to get stuff done, and that a G4 is still a capable machine if you use older software.

colormesilly
May 29, 2011, 06:25 PM
I don't know what MDD means but all this info has helped.

I'm pretty much just looking to get this mac running again and to finish up some projects. I may look into a G5 since I had no idea they're so cheap now. This mac has lasted me a while and I bought it fully loaded with tons of pro programs for $900 off ebay (about 10 years ago).

Nameci
May 29, 2011, 08:08 PM
MDD stands for "Mirror Drive Doors"...

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_867_dp_mdd.html

colormesilly
Jun 23, 2011, 06:41 AM
Ok, so do I apply thermal compound between the processor and the heat sink?

eljanitor
Jun 27, 2011, 11:51 AM
Thermal compound goes between the CPU and heatsink . You only need a small amount.

He had a valid question about the CPU compatibility and what CPU's will work in his unit.

A few things I can remeber is there are different OEM heatsinks for cooling and I remember some models of G4 towers had CPU jumpers that need to be set properly depending on the speed of the CPU or it doesn't work. I can't remember the jumper settings anymore but I'm sure someone here may.

There were also overclocking aftermarket CPU's and kits that could be bought for the G4 towers but they messed with the OF and caused other problems.