PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Question

macbaseball
Mar 13, 2005, 05:02 PM
This may be a really stupid question but here it is: What is the difference between an analog signal cable and DVI. How would I make an analog signal cable connect to my 1.5 GHz Powerbook.

Passante
Mar 13, 2005, 05:51 PM
You need the DVI to VGA adaptor that shipped with your Powerbook

see

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/graphics.html

I'll let someone else explain the digital vs analog video signals

macbaseball
Mar 13, 2005, 06:24 PM
Ok, thanks for the quick response.

macbaseball
Mar 13, 2005, 08:36 PM
Ok I understand that an analog monitor will work, but will there a decrease in response time or quality due to the convertion from annalog to dvi.

HiRez
Mar 13, 2005, 09:06 PM
Ok I understand that an analog monitor will work, but will there a decrease in response time or quality due to the convertion from annalog to dvi.I assume you mean digital to analog instead of the other way around? Yes, there will be some quality loss, as analog signals are subject to all kinds of distortion and interference, whereas signals that stay digital will (theoretically) lose nothing over their source. Use the digital compact disc vs. analog cassette tape or vinyl LP as an example. Mind you, analog video can look very good with the right equipment, but it will almost never be as good as a pure digital chain. Unless your needs are specific (like if you were laying out magazines), there might not be a big difference for you. But whichever way you go, get a quality monitor. I'd take a quality analog (VGA) monitor over a crappy digital (DVI) one any day.

CanadaRAM
Mar 13, 2005, 09:08 PM
Ok I understand that an analog monitor will work, but will there a decrease in response time or quality due to the convertion from annalog to dvi.
The analog (VGA) signal is present in the Mac's DVI connector. There is no further conversion required at output to make it analog. The cable adaptor is merely a wiring adaptor to bring the signal to the pins of a VGA jack.

The image that the Mac generates initally is digital, and the Mac's video card converts it into both analog VGA and digital DVI outputs. There have been some complaints of the Mini having a substandard VGA output on the DVI connector.

If you are using a CRT (tube) monitor, this is as good as it gets. CRT monitors are analog. There is no opportunity (or benefit) to going digital to a CRT.

If you have a LCD monitor however, it is far better to use the DVI digital connection, because every LCD is a digital monitor. Keeping the signal digital DVI all the way is the best plan, if the LCD panel accepts a DVI input.

You can expect a lowering in image quality if you go with an analog VGA connection to the LCD, because the LCD then has to re-convert the signal to digital. The quality will depend on the conversion circuit built into the LCD panel.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com