Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
I had to force my new PB to restart for the first time after the beach ball wouldn't stop spinning (it was my fault - I was doing too many things at once).

Is there anything I should do now? I know it's bad to force a restart, but what if I have to? Should I do anything after?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
About the only thing to do is pop into single user mode and run fsck, as the machine is restarting.

Elkef

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2005
Belgium
Hello there!

If you Have a Journalled system you don't have to, but if you don't and you're worried you can always verify your disk by booting from a cd and runnning Disk Utility...

(You oboot from a disc by booting your mac with the cd in the bay and pressing and holding C. Then later somewhere in the menu you can do a 'verify disc')

Good luck

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
Elkef said:
Hello there!

If you Have a Journalled system you don't have to, but if you don't and you're worried you can always verify your disk by booting from a cd and runnning Disk Utility...

(You oboot from a disc by booting your mac with the cd in the bay and pressing and holding C. Then later somewhere in the menu you can do a 'verify disc')

Good luck

How do I verify permissions?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
dferigmu said:
How do I verify permissions?
Disk Utility/First Aid/Repair Permission.

Run this from the HD only.

Since Disk Utility/First Aid/Repair Disk won't run from the boot drive -- fsck is the easiest alternative. Unless you want to bother hunting up the CD/DVD.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
Sun Baked said:
Disk Utility/First Aid/Repair Permission.

Run this from the HD only.

Since Disk Utility/First Aid/Repair Disk won't run from the boot drive -- fsck is the easiest alternative. Unless you want to bother hunting up the CD/DVD.

Ok, I repaired the HD in OS X and from the start-up DVD and everything seems to be fine. I am being a little paranoid, but now I know what to do.

Thanks!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Actually:

If the file system is not journaled, Mac OS X will do an fsck after a system crash. And if it is journaled, it will read/replay the journal and sometimes it will still do an fsck if it detects issues.

In truth, in most cases, you need to do nothing after a restarting from a crash.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
I don't do anything special. If it were that unstable that I'd have to complete a ritual after the occasional forced reboot I'd be pretty... annoyed.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
Bear said:
If the file system is not journaled, Mac OS X will do an fsck after a system crash. And if it is journaled, it will read/replay the journal and sometimes it will still do an fsck if it detects issues.

In truth, in most cases, you need to do nothing after a restarting from a crash.

What's an fsck?

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Monk Edsel said:
I don't do anything special. If it were that unstable that I'd have to complete a ritual after the occasional forced reboot I'd be pretty... annoyed.
I don't ever do anything different either. Even when I was installing all of my upgrades on my B&W over the past couple of months, I had to force restart countless times while tinkering with overclocking the processor. I have never had any problems after a forced restart on any machine running OS X. Now, OS 9 is a different story.

Daniel

P.S. WOO HOO!!! POST #500!!!

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
The other day my iPod shuffle was finished updating and I clicked the eject button a little too fast as the spinning beachball was not finished spinning yet. So the Beachball never stopped even on a force quit of the Application, so I unplugged the G5 PowerMac. I rebooted and it has not happened again everything is OK. In short, Just keep working.

Brian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.