PDA

View Full Version : SCSI Hard Drive to IDE

livingfortoday
Mar 13, 2005, 08:06 PM
I'm in the process of getting upgrades for my Cube-to-be, and I was looking at 10,000 RPM hard drives, but they all seem to be SCSI instead of IDE. Newegg.com has some SCSI to IDE converters for around $50, is there another way to convert them? Preferably, are there IDE drives that are faster than 7,200 RPM out there?

CanadaRAM
Mar 13, 2005, 08:18 PM
Converting a SCSI drive sounds like a very bad idea. The ACard AEC-7726H does the opposite to what you are looking for - it allows you to use an IDE drive in a UltraSCSI 160 LVD system.

The Western Digital Raptor is 10,000 RPM IDE drive available in 36 and 73 Gb sizes. It is expensive, noisy and hot. Exactly the wrong thing to put into a Cube IMO. Just put in a nice fast quiet Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 IDE or Maxtor DiamondMax 10 IDE 120 Gb and be happy.

Thanks
Trevor

Sun Baked
Mar 13, 2005, 08:29 PM
If you are looking at the SCSI type drives, they do have another class of IDE drives that includes a bunch of reliability improvements over the retail drives.

Not quite SCSI reliability, but a heck a lot better than retail -- though they probably won't be as quiet as a retail drive.

ie, if you look at a Maxtor and it comes in a red box on a shelf at CompUSA it most likely won't be their Midline drive with a 5 year warranty and a million hour MTTF.