Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandman512

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
I am trying to set up my IPAD2 to print via my wireless printer. I have wireless printer in my network. So, can someone point me in the right direction on how to set it up? THANKS!

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I think you can only print to "AirPrint" compatible HP printers easily. However, I have seen some hacking programs which claim to print to any printer. I haven't had time yet to explore these as I am interested in doing the same thing.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Yes AirPrint only works with compatible printers.
A nice way around that is an app called Printopia that you install on your main computer on the network that will let you print over wifi to all connected printers and also print to the computer and dropbox too.

The only drawback is that you have to leave your computer running for it to work which I do anyways.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Yes AirPrint only works with compatible printers.
A nice way around that is an app called Printopia that you install on your main computer on the network that will let you print over wifi to all connected printers and also print to the computer and dropbox too.

The only drawback is that you have to leave your computer running for it to work which I do anyways.

Thanks for the Printopia tip ... that looks like it might do the job perfectly. Got the demo and will try it out.

-howard

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
There's an AirPrint work around for PCs. I have it and it works great. BUT it required your computer be ON to print. It somehow bounces the request to print and the material to be printed off the laptop/computer to the wireless printer. (Can you tell how tech savvy I am? :eek:) I got a tutorial off youtube after searching something like "print wireless from ipad on HP printer"

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Apple needs to come up with a better solution to allow us to print. Forcing us to choose from 6 AirPrint printers is BS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.