PDA

View Full Version : 10 year old iBook running os 9.1 PW help please!

deuk1219
May 14, 2011, 08:26 AM
Well.. this iBook is originally from my old school. The teacher gave it to me because she got a new laptop. I believe this is a 10 year old iBook (from 2001). It is running os 9.1, and I do not have access to Admin settings. I cannot connect to the internet. There are 3 user accounts. One is Admin, one is teacher, one is student (which is the one that I can access). The other ones have a password that I have no idea to get into. Please help me :o
Thanks!

(i only have a snow leopard disc which probably wont work)

Satori
May 14, 2011, 08:30 AM
Well.. this iBook is originally from my old school. The teacher gave it to me because she got a new laptop. I believe this is a 10 year old iBook (from 2001). It is running os 9.1, and I do not have access to Admin settings. I cannot connect to the internet. There are 3 user accounts. One is Admin, one is teacher, one is student (which is the one that I can access). The other ones have a password that I have no idea to get into. Please help me :o
Thanks!

(i only have a snow leopard disc which probably wont work)

Ask your teacher for the password?

If not you'll need the original install disks or an OS install disk that is compatible (Leopard is is likely the last system that would work on this iBook, provided you have enough ram installed).

deuk1219
May 14, 2011, 08:34 AM
Well, I cannot contact this teacher because she lives overseas now.
and its been years.
I clicked on About This Computer and it says
Version: Mac OS 9.1
Mac OS ROM 7.8.1
Built-In-Memory: 128MB
Virtual Memory: 129MB used on Macintosh HD

Still able to run Leopard? ;o
before I waste money

stroked
May 14, 2011, 09:22 AM
and its been years.
Mac OS ROM 7.8.1

before I waste money

If the G3 iBooks are like the G3 imacs, then you have to update the firmware, before you can install OSX.

Don't waste your money with Leopard. If you have the original HDD, it isn't big enough to hold Leopard, and you can't get enough ram to run it. It will run Tiger, but it would be slow too. I would get 10.2 or 10.3

Riky.loebis
May 14, 2011, 09:48 AM
and its been years.
Mac OS ROM 7.8.1

before I waste money

i think
ur ibook is ibook g3 500 or 600 mhz (Model Identifier PowerBook4,1),,
right?
max os is 10.4.11 aka Tiger.

if u want to know about max ur memory, HD, os, etc in ur ibook g3
u can check in everymac, apple-history or app "mactracker"

and check this web mac.oldapps.com if u want and need some old app such as browser, office, music,etc in ur ibook.

sorry if any mistake with my words or not understand,,,

thx

chrismacguy
May 14, 2011, 10:18 AM
Right, just to be completely clear: That iBook CANNOT run Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. The maximum supported OS is 10.4 Tiger. I would recommend looking on eBay for a copy of Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar or 10.3 Panther, as those will install fine with that little RAM, and will at least run, however on 128MB, Tiger will be slow, but Panther and Jaguar will be useable. Leopard requires a PowerPC G4 CPU, which your iBook doesn't have (And even if it did, having run it on 128MB RAM and a slow CPU, I wouldn't recommend it).

California
May 14, 2011, 12:54 PM
I've got Panther Discs but what I would do if i were you is put a new hard drive in it and reformat from there.

Strimkind
May 14, 2011, 08:01 PM
I've got Panther Discs but what I would do if i were you is put a new hard drive in it and reformat from there.

I would avoid taking it apart unless you have done it before, have a dead unit to try on first, or have to take it apart. Its a good 30 minutes if not more to take apart, and many screws. Even more of a pain to put back together IMO.