PDA

View Full Version : CoreDuo MacBook SSD

SisterRay
May 14, 2011, 11:48 AM
Has anyone put an SSD into their CoreDuo macbook?

If so

Did it make any difference to performance?
Was lack of TRIM an issue (I assume Lion will not be supported on this MacBook)
What SSD would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

JohnNedlok
May 14, 2011, 05:07 PM
Just yesterday I put a 240GB SSD in my MacBook 2,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz. I also replaced the two stock 512MB RAM sticks with a 1GB and 2GB stick. I bought everything from Other Word Computing. They were great to deal with - I talked with a sales person who helped me decide what to order and then I talked with tech support after everything arrived with a few newbie questions.

Anyway, it's like a brand new machine - boots up in about 5 seconds compared with about 45 seconds before. Apps open almost instantaneously. I've heard about the TRIM issue but haven't researched it yet so I don't know much about it. So far though I'm thrilled with these upgrades.

AWallen90
May 15, 2011, 01:26 AM
Just yesterday I put a 240GB SSD in my MacBook 2,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz. I also replaced the two stock 512MB RAM sticks with a 1GB and 2GB stick. I bought everything from Other Word Computing. They were great to deal with - I talked with a sales person who helped me decide what to order and then I talked with tech support after everything arrived with a few newbie questions.

Anyway, it's like a brand new machine - boots up in about 5 seconds compared with about 45 seconds before. Apps open almost instantaneously. I've heard about the TRIM issue but haven't researched it yet so I don't know much about it. So far though I'm thrilled with these upgrades.

I will be throwing an SSD in mine shortly.

Why did you go with 3GB instead of the 3.3GB dual channel you would get with 2x2GB?

OP do you have core duo or core 2 duo?

JohnNedlok
May 15, 2011, 07:47 AM
Why did you go with 3GB instead of the 3.3GB dual channel you would get with 2x2GB?

OP do you have core duo or core 2 duo?

No real reason; I have a core duo 2 but I didn't know that much about it so that's just what the salesperson at OWC recommended. 3GB seems like plenty of RAM. Web pages come up blazing fast compared to before. And the best part, I haven't seen the spinning beach ball once since I did the upgrade :-)

BiggAW
May 15, 2011, 08:36 AM
Has anyone put an SSD into their CoreDuo macbook?

If so

Did it make any difference to performance?
Was lack of TRIM an issue (I assume Lion will not be supported on this MacBook)
What SSD would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

I have a Blackbook with the 2.16C2D that's going to get an SSD in a couple of weeks. It should massively improve performance, given that most of my slowdowns have the CPU between 30 and 70%, but the hard drive absolutely pegged seeking.

In these machines, given the price of RAM, it's kind of silly not to just get the 4GB of ram and have 3.3GB usable. That's what I've had for years. The OP can only get 2GB however, IIRC.

mcdonap
May 15, 2011, 01:41 PM
I did the SSD and 4GB RAM upgrade to my MB2,1 this past November. (OWC products.)
I also put on the trim support a couple months back when Cindori shared his utility. Here's the thread and a TON of info on TRIM:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1125400

I've had zero problems with any of this. As others have mentioned, my MB is like a new machine - the SSD makes things super fast. I don't think I could use a regular HDD any more!