PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how much an anesthesia tech makes?

Jdm_rsx
Mar 14, 2005, 12:04 AM
im gettin my interview tomorrow and ill find out...but im just very curious and nervous...about it..

Abstract
Mar 14, 2005, 05:19 AM
I don't know about an Anaesthesia Technician, but I read somewhere on this board that nurses that deal with anaesthetics get PAAAAID!!! I don't really know why. I mean, most nurses are paid so little for doing such technical work, and yet a nurse that deals with anaesthetics gets paid heaps more.

So for your situation, I'd expect some decent dough. :)

kettle
Mar 14, 2005, 05:34 AM
In the UK anesthetists have to train longer than yer average surgeon. So I'd hope/guess they got paid more. :confused:

edesignuk
Mar 14, 2005, 05:34 AM
A fair bit. (http://www.payscale.com/salary-survey/vid-9849/fid-6886)

themadchemist
Mar 14, 2005, 07:03 AM
In the UK anesthetists have to train longer than yer average surgeon. So I'd hope/guess they got paid more. :confused:

Those are docs, though. He's talking about a tech position, which has quite a different payscale.

However, I'm not sure what that pay is...Less than what a nurse would get, but if the trend for the anasthesia specialty carries over into techs, then more than techs in other fields probably get.

iGary
Mar 14, 2005, 07:07 AM
I have a friend who is a nurse anesthetist, and she makes about 130K, her malpractice insurance, however. :rolleyes:

themadchemist
Mar 14, 2005, 07:22 AM
I have a friend who is a nurse anesthetist, and she makes about 130K, her malpractice insurance, however. :rolleyes:

Wow! That's fantastic for a nurse! That competes with a pediatrician's salary! And does the nurse need all that much malpractice? After all, liability usually falls on the attending physician, right? That's part of the reason docs get paid the big bucks.

iGary
Mar 14, 2005, 07:44 AM
Well, they are very close.

Our friend does everything that an anesthetist does, just in pieces. Bascially, since there are never enough anesthetists, three surgeries may have only one anesthetist (MD) and one nurse anesthetist...they trade places monitoring, administering etc...

Baron58
Mar 14, 2005, 10:27 AM
Well, they are very close.

Our friend does everything that an anesthetist does, just in pieces. Bascially, since there are never enough anesthetists, three surgeries may have only one anesthetist (MD) and one nurse anesthetist...they trade places monitoring, administering etc...

Terminology clarification:

A CRNA is an anesthetist
An MD is an anesthesiologst

Lord Blackadder
Mar 14, 2005, 10:47 AM
At the hospital I work at (The Cleveland Clinic), Anesthesiologists generally rank among the highest paid M.D. positions, along with the real hotshot cardiac surgeons. Experienced technicians make a fraction of the M.D.s, but when the Anesthesiologist's salary is in the millions (several here make that much), a fraction is a big chunk of change!

We regularly have royal visitors from the Middle East; On one occasion not too long ago a grateful (and wealthy) recipient of heart surgery gave each member of the entire team a gold Rolex! So there are additional perks.

Good luck!

Kwyjibo
Mar 14, 2005, 11:32 AM

....yup they're the first person to get sed in a botched surgery so be prepared for that.

CanadaRAM
Mar 14, 2005, 11:46 AM
Anyone know how much an anesthesia tech makes?

Don't know - I slept through that class... :D

Edit: Remember - never volunteer....

Jdm_rsx
Mar 14, 2005, 12:54 PM
i just called the HR today and they want me to wait until 21st of monday...

the boss is out of town and i need to wait! I CANT......

would it be rude for me to ask about the pay rate? and benefits?

honestly what would u guys expect? 15 bucks an hour? 20 ? 25 ?

Wyvernspirit
Mar 14, 2005, 01:03 PM
Acording to this website (http://www.diversityalliedhealth.com) the average (american) salary for this Position is:

Anesthesia Technician
$26,206 (Salary.com)

YOu can read the entire report (http://www.diversityalliedhealth.com/features/09-23-04a.html) if you wish.

Hope that helps.

Wyvernspirit
Mar 14, 2005, 01:06 PM
i just called the HR today and they want me to wait until 21st of monday...

the boss is out of town and i need to wait! I CANT......

would it be rude for me to ask about the pay rate? and benefits?

honestly what would u guys expect? 15 bucks an hour? 20 ? 25 ?

At the rate I quoted earlier, it would be about $12.50 an hour. Of couse the rate would change depending on state/location. I would say from $10 to $15 an hour, if the website I got my information is correct.

EDIT: Noticed you are in Hawaii, lucky @#$%, the median salary for that position in Hawaii is $30,850, low of $27,003, and high of $35,502.

So the Median per hour rate would be $14.83, low rate of $12.98, and high rate of $17.06. These or not scientific nor conclusive. Just a rough estimate.

Jdm_rsx
Mar 14, 2005, 01:18 PM
thank you to all those that responded..

so would it be rude to call and ask?

im already makin 14-15 as a cardiac tech

i still go to school but i pay for college myself...

just lookin for a better job

Daveway
Mar 14, 2005, 01:26 PM
My neighbor is an anesthesiologist and he makes a LOT more than 130k. I'm thinking he makes around 250k++ and his wife is a dietician.

Jdm_rsx
Mar 14, 2005, 01:29 PM
dietician are so underpaid..

the ones in hawaii is like 40 k..?

Blue Velvet
Mar 14, 2005, 01:34 PM

Never ask immediately about pay when going for a new job.

It doesn't give the right impression... if you get a second interview then maybe... or even if they ask you if you have any questions at the end of an interview.

The main aim is to appear interested in the work itself.

See if you can do a little research on the web first for your area.

Jdm_rsx
Mar 14, 2005, 01:41 PM
last friday, at the end of my first interview...she asked me if i had any questions..

i said nope...(i wasn't sure if i should've said anything)

then she said ok on monday u call HR and to find out salary and benefits to see if your still interested...

today, i called, the interviewing boss went on vacation = (

i gotta wait until next week and im stuck now...

should i call HR back and ask?

waitin 1 week is soooo LONG! I CANT WAIT!

Blue Velvet
Mar 14, 2005, 01:45 PM
then she said ok on monday u call HR and to find out salary and benefits to see if your still interested...

In that case, yes.
Call HR, that's one of the things they are there for.

Don't worry... she said OK.

Wyvernspirit
Mar 14, 2005, 01:52 PM
last friday, at the end of my first interview...she asked me if i had any questions..

i said nope...(i wasn't sure if i should've said anything)

today, i called, the interviewing boss went on vacation = (

i gotta wait until next week and im stuck now...

waitin 1 week is soooo LONG! I CANT WAIT!

If she said to call and find out, then do it. But if you are making 14-15 dollars an hour now don't be surprised if the pay is the same or at least similar (read: my posts above). In which case compare the two jobs, pro/con, and decide which one works best for you. Make sure to consider stress, hours (including start and end time, ie what time in the day does it start), benefits, commute, if any, etc.

It may be a better jobn even if it doesn't "pay better." Pay isn't everything, though it sure does help ;)

Jdm_rsx
Mar 14, 2005, 02:02 PM
aye ya...its pretty much the same = (

very sad and disappointing...i was hoping it would pay more....

but i think it will be nice to work in a different environment...something more technical..?

now i dont know what to do....ugh...i was hoping the pay to be higher than what i have now and being able to learn something new

sigh...my original plan was to hope anesthesia paying more...while i go thru school and finish my bach in business admin, (already in 2nd year, i cant quit now) and then apply for med or law, hence it requires a 4 yr degree...

at first i was going to just get my AS in business and apply xray/imaging
and stop there...knowing i need money to pay off my college debts...

now my jobs will pay smiliar...and dont know what to do......

sorry if this sounds very confusing to you all, as of now im very confused myself....lost.....just confused in general..

= (

Blue Velvet
Mar 14, 2005, 02:05 PM
but i think it will be nice to work in a different environment...something more technical..?

See it as a stepping stone to something else... try and forget about it for today. Sleep on it, things always look better the next day... go out and have some fun for now... you don't have to make a decision right now this minute.

Jdm_rsx
Mar 14, 2005, 02:25 PM
stepping stone but with less money?

i cant agree with that on my mind

someone SHOOT ME! IM GOING NUTS HERE! ARGH..

*faints...*

themadchemist
Mar 14, 2005, 02:29 PM
My neighbor is an anesthesiologist and he makes a LOT more than 130k. I'm thinking he makes around 250k++ and his wife is a dietician.

The 130,000 was referring to a nurse. As other posters have clarified, anesthesiologists (MD's) make a great deal more than that.

wdlove
Mar 14, 2005, 04:38 PM
thank you to all those that responded..

im already makin 14-15 as a cardiac tech

i still go to school but i pay for college myself...

just looking for a better job

It's certainly going to depend on your educational preparation and experience. I think that it would be alright to inquire about the pay rate and benefits.

Your question reminded me of a statement made by an anesthesiologist regarding his profession. "It is hours of boredom with a few seconds of panic."

Lacero
Mar 14, 2005, 04:42 PM
It's more important than the pay amount would be if you love the career and can see yourself doing it for many years.

Jdm_rsx
Mar 14, 2005, 04:48 PM
right now, i love my cardiac job

i have decent hours and excellent shifts

im able to bring my laptop / homework to do, if i have nothing to do on my shift

as for anesthesia, im very excited that i will be able to learn something new but just very disappointing and sad that its same pay as what im making now

surely experience is great, im just a young boy now...21...i feel im already behind in school.....im afraid of taking a bunch of school loans and not being able to finish therefore, i choose to work and school...

how old r u guys?

themadchemist
Mar 14, 2005, 07:33 PM
It's more important than the pay amount would be if you love the career and can see yourself doing it for many years.

I don't think this matters as much for him because he's just taking the job to make ends meet while in school. One thing's for sure, a job like this is and your current job will both look fantastic on a med school application!

Jdm_rsx
Mar 14, 2005, 07:48 PM
I don't think this matters as much for him because he's just taking the job to make ends meet while in school. One thing's for sure, a job like this is and your current job will both look fantastic on a med school application!

thats what everyone has been telling me, dont think about the money for a second and just think resume and application for med school

i think mcats willl prove a BIG AND TOUGH Challenge for me since i am a business major and ill be lacking science credits bag time

how did you guys prepare for mcats?

taking chem, bio, phys classes wont cut it, they take too long....anyone else have better suggestions?

a doctor, suggest me, finish my 4yr business admin, get a masters in public health, study mcats, and apply

do i even need a masters in public health? whats it really for?

themadchemist
Mar 14, 2005, 07:56 PM
thats what everyone has been telling me, dont think about the money for a second and just think resume and application for med school

i think mcats willl prove a BIG AND TOUGH Challenge for me since i am a business major and ill be lacking science credits bag time

It is tough! Be prepared to set aside time (I set aside the better part of a summer) preparing!

how did you guys prepare for mcats?

I took a Kaplan class and studied, studied, studied. I took all of the practice tests and did almost all of the practice problems they had and went through all their material multiple times. I already had a solid foundation in the sciences, so this was sufficient for me.

taking chem, bio, phys classes wont cut it, they take too long....anyone else have better suggestions?

Sorry, chum, you won't be admitted to medical school unless you take a year of inorganic (general) chemistry, a year of organic chemistry, a year of physics, and a year of biology...All of these are the introductory "pre-med" courses. They are required for admission to medical school and a good science/math gpa is important, as well.

a doctor, suggest me, finish my 4yr business admin, get a masters in public health, study mcats, and apply

That's an interesting idea, but you still definitely have to have the basic prerequisite courses.

do i even need a masters in public health? whats it really for?

You definitely don't need it. If you're interested in public policy or if your GPA isn't too great and you'd like to do a master's program to say you're capable of upper-level work, consider it. In the latter scenario, you would do better to do a master's in a hard science to show your ability in that area, but that doesn't seem necessarily to be an option for you.

Also, you might consider doing an MPH if you just want to add something else cool and interesting to your app. It's definitely an interesting field and will give you a big picture view of medicine. If that's something you're interested, go for it, but keep in mind that a number of medical schools have MD/MPH programs and that if you do them separately, the MPH will just add extra years to your schooling.

Jdm_rsx
Mar 14, 2005, 08:03 PM
argh...this is so many years were talkin about

1 yr chem
1 yr bio
1yr phys
3yr total

2 more yrs till im done with my 4 yr business
2-3 yrs in master public "optional:"

4 yr
1-2 yr studyin / preparing for mcats
2 yr total
dear lord! were talkin about 10 more yrs before i get accepted in med school

another 4 yr med school
2-3 yr resident
i think theres a fellowship after that? not sure what comes next
8 yr

ill be early 40 when im done with med school...

anyways, im lookin to be a anesthesia doc, thats why i was interested in being a tech first and while i finish school for my business degree and to get a feel whats it like being the doc and understanding some parts of anesthesia...
but dear god, maybe i should think about law
= (

yikes...

themadchemist
Mar 14, 2005, 08:12 PM
argh...this is so many years were talkin about

1 yr chem
1 yr bio
1yr phys
3yr total

2 more yrs till im done with my 4 yr business

Why can't you take these courses while you're getting your undergraduate business degree?

Even if you do take the premed courses separately, you should be able to do them in two years if that's all you take at the time:

Year 1: Gen Chem & Physics
Year 2: Organic Chemistry & Biology

Or some combination thereof. However, I strongly encourage you to try to take them, if you don't think you'll be *too* overwhelmed, along with the rest of your courses (especially if you have elective space that this can fill).

2-3 yrs in master public "optional:"

I think you should be able to tackle this in two years.

4 yr
1-2 yr studyin / preparing for mcats
2 yr total

Really, a few months for the MCAT are enough. If you can really apply yourself for three months (maybe four or five if you really need them), then you'll be set. The key here is to try to take to an absolute minimum the other activities that you do while you're studying for the MCAT. At least that's what I did and for me, two months was sufficient. A solid foundation in your coursework and then 3-5 months of studying should put you on very good footing to take the test.

dear lord! were talkin about 10 more yrs before i get accepted in med school

It doesn't have to be! It can easily be 2-4 years, not ten!

another 4 yr med school
2-3 yr resident
i think theres a fellowship after that? not sure what comes next
8 yr

Internship and residency together should come to 4-7 years, if I'm not mistaken.

ill be early 40 when im done with med school...

anyways, im lookin to be a anesthesia doc, thats why i was interested in being a tech first and while i finish school for my business degree and to get a feel whats it like being the doc and understanding some parts of anesthesia...
but dear god, maybe i should think about law
= (

yikes...

If you really apply yourself, you can do this with 2-3 years before med school, 4 years of med school, and 4-7 years of residency. That'll put you at about average age, assuming that you're about the average age of an undergrad right now. Don't lose heart! You can do it!

Jdm_rsx
Mar 14, 2005, 08:21 PM
care to tell me a little bit about yourself?
how did u get into med school?

problem is im still undergrad for bba, bachelor in business admin
i need 2 more years
im 21 now, going to be 22 in may...

thanks
eric

themadchemist
Mar 14, 2005, 08:24 PM
care to tell me a little bit about yourself?
how did u get into med school?

problem is im still undergrad for bba, bachelor in business admin
i need 2 more years
im 21 now, going to be 22 in may...

thanks
eric

Well, to tell you the truth, I'm just now embarking on the application process. I'm in a program that guaranteed me a medical school seat out of high school, but I'm looking at a few other schools that I might be interested in attending and don't actually start applying until the summer. I'm an undergrad majoring in biological sciences (so it was easy to finish the requirements!) and I took the MCAT the summer after sophomore year.

What I'm wondering is why you can't take the pre-med courses alongside the BBA courses...Isn't there an option for a double major or space for electives?

Jdm_rsx
Mar 14, 2005, 09:03 PM
yea there is..and yes i can....
but it would too much for me, im not really generally smart...

next semester ill need
accounting
calculus
history or econo
business law
im tryin to aim at 4 or 5 classes without having to drop them...

i would have to work less and less but so ya..i hope u understand what im tryin to get at..

i have to pay for my college, family cant help me, i dont want to take loans either, so im kinda screwed..

im going to try focus all my energies to BBA first...

themadchemist
Mar 15, 2005, 10:35 AM

next semester ill need
accounting
calculus
history or econo
business law

i would have to work less and less but so ya..i hope u understand what im tryin to get at..

i have to pay for my college, family cant help me, i dont want to take loans either, so im kinda screwed..

Then I would consider one of a number of post-baccaulareate programs (Columbia has a good one, IIRC) for students who don't have the science training to take. You should look into them--Only a year or two, and since you focus on just those subjects, you have a shot of getting really good grades.

Wyvernspirit
Mar 15, 2005, 11:57 AM

next semester ill need
accounting
calculus
history or econo
business law

Did you look into changing majors? I know you are two years in already but you may be surprised. Business is a long way from pre med, I just don't know how a BBA will help you in your desired career path. it may be easier shorter and cheaper to switch majors. The work needed is easier the sooner you do it, it gets harder the longer you put it off.

Unless you might change your mind and go into business, you could work on the business side of the medical profession, a BBA is not going to help you later on. Just my two cents. Take from it what you will.

Jdm_rsx
Mar 15, 2005, 12:32 PM
to be honest, i dont know which major to switch to?

i have a ton of business credits on hand

what would u guys suggest?

Wyvernspirit
Mar 15, 2005, 01:26 PM
to be honest, i dont know which major to switch to?

i have a ton of business credits on hand

what would u guys suggest?

My first thought would be pre med, but...

You should have an academic counciler (SP?), talk to this person tell them what you are interested in doing and let them help you figure out what is the best choice for your situation, its what they are there for. They will be able to tell you what your options are and how long it may take to do.

Just a sugestion.

Jdm_rsx
Mar 15, 2005, 01:31 PM
ill be needing just basic requirements for the BBA

stuff like
accounting, calculus, econo, history, some other stuff
business law, management..

just those basic classes, im going to take the easier ones in summer

themadchemist
Mar 15, 2005, 01:44 PM
ill be needing just basic requirements for the BBA

stuff like
accounting, calculus, econo, history, some other stuff
business law, management..

just those basic classes, im going to take the easier ones in summer

But the point that Wyvern is making is that the BBA might not really help you for your long-term career path...Plus, it looks like you have quite a few classes to take, not just some basic requirements.

Wyvernspirit
Mar 15, 2005, 02:03 PM
But the point that Wyvern is making is that the BBA might not really help you for your long-term career path...Plus, it looks like you have quite a few classes to take, not just some basic requirements.

Exactly, its not like you need to take one more semester and your done. It may be smarter to change majors to one that better fits your career goals. I would ask your academic councilor.