PDA

View Full Version : [Resolved] Non User Specific Symbolic Link

rolandoislas
May 14, 2011, 02:14 PM
I have been trying to create a non user specific symbolic link that points to ~/Library/Application Support.

I tried:
ln -s ~/Library/Application\ Support Drag\ Here\ to\ Install

This creates the symbolic link that works on my user, but when it is moved to another user it doesn't work. I thought I was creating it wrong, so I created one for the applications folder.
ln -s /Applications Drag\ Here\ to\ Install

The symbolic link for the Applications folder works. How can I get the first one to work without being user specific. Is this possible with a symbolic link? If not can somebody tell me of any other way I can achieve this.

Hansr
May 14, 2011, 02:42 PM
Symbolic links are always hardcoded, ~ will always be translated to /Users/YOU/ when creating them. What are you trying to accomplish precisely?

rolandoislas
May 14, 2011, 02:55 PM
Symbolic links are always hardcoded, ~ will always be translated to /Users/YOU/ when creating them. What are you trying to accomplish precisely?

I have created a dmg that contains files that must be placed in the users Application Support folder. I would like the symbolic link there so that the user can just drag the folder onto the link instead of going to ~/Library/Application Support.

I have tried using an installer package to accomplish this , but I cant seem to get it to install the files to "Application Support"

Sydde
May 14, 2011, 03:43 PM
Perhaps you could whip out a quick little app that does the job? Just something that takes dropped files (perhaps verifying that those are the right files) and puts them where you need them?

rolandoislas
May 14, 2011, 05:11 PM
I decided to go with the package installer. It doesn't have the convenience of drag and drop like a symbolic link would, but it gets the job done.