Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghostmomo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Dear all,

My old MB 2.1Ghz is nearly 3 years old. I had replaced harddrive, optical drive (2 times), logic board, LCD connection cable, recharger.:eek:

Through out last 2 years, it has a buzzing sound from left upper corder near magsafe recharger. That's why they changed the LCD connection cable and logic board. But still, it has the noise. It sounds like electricity leaking, high pitch.

Since it's gonna be out of applecare in 3 months, I wonder if it's possible to get another repair? OR the sound is considered to be somehow 'NORMAL'? I know PC usually makes the sound, and people think it's totally normal! (I ask because the nearest Apple Store is 2 hours by train...)

I upgraded the RAM into 4G, so I really don't wanna loose the computer. Although I was promised if something goes wrong, they will replace me with a new current MB, I just wanna push them to fix it instead of replacing it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Dear all,

My old MB 2.1Ghz is nearly 3 years old. I had replaced harddrive, optical drive (2 times), logic board, LCD connection cable, recharger.:eek:

Through out last 2 years, it has a buzzing sound from left upper corder near magsafe recharger. That's why they changed the LCD connection cable and logic board. But still, it has the noise. It sounds like electricity leaking, high pitch.

Since it's gonna be out of applecare in 3 months, I wonder if it's possible to get another repair? OR the sound is considered to be somehow 'NORMAL'? I know PC usually makes the sound, and people think it's totally normal! (I ask because the nearest Apple Store is 2 hours by train...)

I upgraded the RAM into 4G, so I really don't wanna loose the computer. Although I was promised if something goes wrong, they will replace me with a new current MB, I just wanna push them to fix it instead of replacing it.:rolleyes:

Does the noise stop if you are on a website and you scroll up and down using two fingers?

Mine has been making this noise for 3 years now and it's working great.

The noise should stop when you unplug it?

Let me know if that's it.

ghostmomo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Does the noise stop if you are on a website and you scroll up and down using two fingers?

Mine has been making this noise for 3 years now and it's working great.

The noise should stop when you unplug it?

Let me know if that's it.

Wow, yeah, I just found out now, if I scroll up and down with two fingers, the sound was switching tunes, like high-low-high-low pitch.
The magsafe does not do anything to the sound though.

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Wow, yeah, I just found out now, if I scroll up and down with two fingers, the sound was switching tunes, like high-low-high-low pitch.
The magsafe does not do anything to the sound though.

The noise on mine increases when the magsafe is connected, but it does still make the noise when unplugged it's just quieter and I've gotten more or less used to it unless I listen for it. I have a family member whom works at Apple and he took it in and they replaced some stuff but it did not fix the high pitch noise I think most all of these macbooks do it. I will have to check on some of the computer colleagues have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.