Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom
Hi MR!

I have a 2nd gen ATV and I am having issues with streaming movies that I have ripped from DVD.

I have started ripping my DVD collection to m4v, adding metadata then to iTunes. The problem is the content ripped from DVD doesn't stream to my ATV. I get the seek bar across the bottom and the spinning circle.

However, if I stream content which is either downloaded or purchased from the iTunes store then this works fine and no issues.

Also, all of the content ripped from DVD works fine on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

EDIT - Also, my ATV is jailbroken. WIll this make a difference? I plan on restoring as the jailbreak isn't really worth having imo.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks

Last edited:

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom
try running those video files in xbmc instead of itunes

They run fine in xbmc and on VLC on the mac.

I used the Apple TV 2 preset on Handbrake to rip them and Subler for the metadata.

I am not getting an error saying it failed to load the content on my ripped files, but iTunes purchased content works fine.

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom
After more testing...

The file will work perfect when added to iTunes without metadata.

If metadata is added using subler then it will not stream (this only works on ripped content. Downloaded content with added metadata works perfect), but works on the iPhone and iPad.

If metadata is added using MetaX then the film is just one long movie of black screen.

Anyone else experienced this?

Wavell

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Essex, UK
After more testing...

The file will work perfect when added to iTunes without metadata.

If metadata is added using subler then it will not stream (this only works on ripped content. Downloaded content with added metadata works perfect), but works on the iPhone and iPad.

If metadata is added using MetaX then the film is just one long movie of black screen.

Anyone else experienced this?

I could be wrong.. but.. wasn't that an issue with one of the older firmware revisions (ATV2) ?.. i.e. some files with metadata gave, as you described, a nice black screen. If so, it was a known bug and was supposedly fixed with the latest ATV2 firmware release.

try updating your ATV2 firmware and see what happens..

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom
I updated to the latest firmware and everything works now. If I add it to the library and try to stream immediately then it takes a minute or two to load, but if I wait 10/15 minutes then it works perfectly.

Thanks for all of your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.