Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DRPTHPHN

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Hey,

So I right clicked a file to select "open with" and I saw this (see picture attached)

A strange cc2350294e8f598a249f59183245e456 program, when I clicked on it, it asked me to install Rosetta for it to work. I am a bit confused can anyone help out?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 21.50.13.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 21.50.13.png
    368.3 KB · Views: 183

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I don't have any actual experience with Photoshop CS5, but Rosetta is an Apple provided translator for older PowerPC software. Looking at your screenshot I noticed the program in question has the same basic icon as Photoshop but with a down pointing arrow. My guess is that this is some kind of installer or downloader or converter or maybe plug-in for Photoshop.

DoctaKrafty

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
I use photoshop a lot. I've never seen that before....

Ok looks to be an adobe patch file for PowerPC computers. Ignore it. No idea why it shows up when you right click.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Hey,

So I right clicked a file to select "open with" and I saw this (see picture attached)

A strange cc2350294e8f598a249f59183245e456 program, when I clicked on it, it asked me to install Rosetta for it to work. I am a bit confused can anyone help out?

I think it means that there is some componet that's trying to be opened that's no longer compatible with Adobe Photoshop CS5, I had alot of adobe stuff that I forgot about and opened up again a few years ago and the same thing would happened, most of which was old Illustrator stuff,

' r i S e n

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
This comes up when I right click certain files as well.

Anyone think it is okay to just get rid of it?

functiongrfx

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
Abilene, TX
Problem solved (for no, anyway)

Ok folks, here's how to solve this annoyance:

The file is actually an Adobe patch file that gets misinterpreted as a Photoshop droplet. Search for the file name 'cc235029 blah blah blah' in spotlight and open the enclosing folder. Navigate to the offending file and zip it--I say this because I'm not sure if this fix will interfere with Creative Suite's update process so it's best to keep a copy of the original file just in case.

Leave the uncompressed original right where it is but move the zip file to someplace safe (I moved mine up one folder into the 'Adobe' folder) and then open TextEdit. From the 'Open...' dialog in TextEdit, navigate back to the 'cc235029...' file and open it letting TextEdit decide automatically on the text encoding.

Once the file is open, save it without making any changes and close it. You'll now see that the file is a Unix Executable instead of a droplet.

Rebuild your launch services database (either through terminal--Google for the command--or through an app like Onyx) and the offending menu item is now gone!

I'm anxious to try out an update to CS5, just to make sure that the file tinkering doesn't cause any problems but I don't think it should.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.