Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the occasional 2011 refurbished MacBook Pros have been trickling into the online Apple Store over the past couple of weeks, a couple of readers have noticed that there's been a notable increase in availability of 2011 models over the past couple of days.

Apple is presently listing the following refurbished 2011 MacBook Pros:
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel i5
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.7GHz dual-core Intel i7
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.7GHz dual-core Intel i7
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz quad-core Intel i7
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz quad-core Intel i7
Inventory of refurbished items tends to be transitory, but all models are tested by Apple and come with a 1 year warranty.

Thanks Joe and ml.sail1

Article Link: Refurbished 2011 MacBook Pros Available from Apple

Last edited:

sohelpme

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
As usual, Apple Canada is way behind. They have a great selection of 2009 and 2010 models, ZERO 2011 ones, and of course, are significantly overpriced.

I guess Apple Canada is entirely financed by buying Mac's at full retail price from Apple US, then marking them up and reselling them here in Canada.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
As usual, Apple Canada is way behind. They have a great selection of 2009 and 2010 models, ZERO 2011 ones, and of course, are significantly overpriced.

I guess Apple Canada is entirely financed by buying Mac's at full retail price from Apple US, then marking them up and reselling them here in Canada.

Well its not that Apple Canada is way behind ~ just that users are actually enjoying and not having damaged/factory lemons on the 2011 models as much as the USA ~ its a numbers game in this regard.

Apple Canada makes quite a large number of sales lately. It is a smack in the face that we have a much better economy, productivity, and doing well with exports all equaling to a much better dollar vs the US currency for over 4mths that Apple Canada is NOT cutting us a break. THAT their "way behind" in and have been before 3 times in the last 4yrs that our dollar has done better than the US$ for more than 3mths.

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Umm, Apple normally only updates its prices to reflect changes in currency value when it refreshes its products. Check the latest iMacs: the same prices for both Canada and US, across the board. (Except, oddly, for BTO RAM upgrades.)

Canada is 1/10th the size of the US in population, and Apple is a US based company. Between those to factors and it should be no surprise that there's less options refurbished options on the Canadian store (given smaller volume of sales in Canada, fewer machines to be returned and refurbished, and of those, some are probably sent to the US for refurbishing and then end up on the US store), and also, less attention is paid to updating the prices on older refurbished items to make them enticing deals.

At a quick glance, the price difference between US/CAN on refurb MBPs with identical specs is $50 at most, which is a MUCH better situation than what it was a few years ago. I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Well its not that Apple Canada is way behind ~ just that users are actually enjoying and not having damaged/factory lemons on the 2011 models as much as the USA ~ its a numbers game in this regard.

Apple Canada makes quite a large number of sales lately. It is a smack in the face that we have a much better economy, productivity, and doing well with exports all equaling to a much better dollar vs the US currency for over 4mths that Apple Canada is NOT cutting us a break. THAT their "way behind" in and have been before 3 times in the last 4yrs that our dollar has done better than the US$ for more than 3mths.

This is a terrible argument. Apple manufactures better quality products to Canada? State of the economy determines Apple refurbished product availability?

Last edited by a moderator:

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
This is a terrible argument. Apple manufactures better quality products to Canada? State of the economy determines Apple refurbished product availability?

His argument about the economy is about the price gouging. There isn't much of a argument about it, considering the difference is small and probably still due to taxes being different (only a $50 difference on all models except top of the line, where its the same price). The US dollar and Canadian dollar have been on par for months. If a Canadian converted his $ today and paid for a base MBP in the US, they would only have to pay $1160.64 ($1199USD) out of pocket, pre-tax, and assuming they hide it from the border patrol (not sure if they care, never been to Canada myself, just assuming they may try to double tax it). Instead, they pay $1249 from Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

opq

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2004
Dont forget that in BC they charge you a $30-$50 recycling levy (environmental fees) in addition to the tax!

mugtastic

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2006
when i buy from the canada refurb store it comes from california - so why is the stock different from the u.s. store?

mitchleeh

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Does anyone else think it's odd that they distinguish the screen resolution of the 2011 13" MBP refurbs from 2010 models?

http://i.imgur.com/7EjTh.png

I hope I'm not reading too much into this, but could it potentially mean that they might of had a higher res screen available for 2011 launch, or maybe another 2011 13.3" MBP will be coming out with a higher res?

To me, it seems odd. What do you think?

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
Does anyone else think it's odd that they distinguish the screen resolution of the 2011 13" MBP refurbs from 2010 models?

I hope I'm not reading too much into this, but could it potentially mean that they might of had a higher res screen available for 2011 launch, or maybe another 2011 13.3" MBP will be coming out with a higher res?

Well it's not too odd for them to change up what they list in the overview specs. Sometimes they put battery life and others not. I dunno i could mean something, or it could have just been written by a different person. who knows

jgk6502

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2010

If you custom order a MBP from the Apple online store, you can configure it with a higher res screen (1680-by-1050, + $100), and anti-glare (+$50). I think last years model had this option also.

mitchleeh

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
If you custom order a MBP from the Apple online store, you can configure it with a higher res screen (1680-by-1050, + $100), and anti-glare (+$50). I think last years model had this option also.

I'm talking specifically about the 13.3" which has never had any of those upgrade options - which is why I find it odd. Why would they specify the resolution on the 2011 (and not 2010), when there are no other choices.

EatSleepMac

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
New York
represent

I just picked up a brand new 13 inch MBP a couple days ago and threw 8gigs of corsair and a 128gig intel 510 ssd inside, needless to say I'm happy with my purchase. This thing boots up in 17 secs...

wyckd

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
Overpriced

Maybe it's just me, but why the heck would you pay just $100.00 less for a "refurbished" Mac than what it costs for a brand new Mac?

If you look at the Apple store site, a new Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz quad-core Intel i7 with the higher resolution screen is selling for $2,199.00 plus free shipping. You can buy a brand new system with the exact same configuration for $2,299.00!

The ONLY difference is you are saving $100.00 and taking the chance that the refurbished product has some "minor cosmetic" damage.

Apple is the only computer company I am aware of that is charging the same price for their computers that they charged 5 years ago.:mad::mad:

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
I have never seen a refurbished Apple product with cosmetic damage. Don't they put brand new case etc on them anyway and it's only the internals which are used?

Like someone could have bought a Macbook Pro and decided they wanted to return it within the 30 day period Apple can't sell it as new so they sell it as refurbished but I imagine if someone did return it and it had cosmetic damage then Apple would either

1. Not let them return it as it has been damaged.

2. If they did let them return it then a new case etc would be put on if the old one was damaged in anyway.

appleaphid

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
Apple claims that all refurbs have a new battery & case.

That being said, there are some overpriced old models even when comparing among refurbs.
Something else to keep in mind if you were not aware: Many credit cards give an extra 1 yr warranty on purchases of new, bt not used or refurb products!

(Last purchase: refurb iPad1 was shipped from China -> USA -> Canada)

I have never seen a refurbished Apple product with cosmetic damage. Don't they put brand new case etc on them anyway and it's only the internals which are used?

Like someone could have bought a Macbook Pro and decided they wanted to return it within the 30 day period Apple can't sell it as new so they sell it as refurbished but I imagine if someone did return it and it had cosmetic damage then Apple would either

1. Not let them return it as it has been damaged.

2. If they did let them return it then a new case etc would be put on if the old one was damaged in anyway.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Waiting for the new Macmini's to pop up on the refurb store to buy one, haven't seen any yet.

Bj93

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
You might be right in saying that refurbished devices from Apple have increased the availability but unfortunately, for me it did not make any difference. I still can't find the 2011 model anywhere. Anyhow, after all the searching, finally, I think I'd be getting the 2011 model very soon.
smiles.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.