PDA

View Full Version : Thin & reversible keyboard case?

tdx
May 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm close to getting an Ipad 2 but the one thing holding me back is that I'm planning to do a fair bit of writing with it. Ideally, I'd like to use my Ipad primarily as a tablet, but have the keyboard available at all times if i should need it (not separately in a bag).

I've looked around for a keyboard case that would fit my needs but I'm not finding one. The Logitech/Zagg keyboard case is nice and thin, but you can't lay the ipad flat on its back (so that the keyboard becomes the back) can you?
Also, the Clamcase is closer to what I'm looking for (rotates the keyboard to the back of the Ipad when not in use) but it's really thick.

So I guess my ideal case would be one where the keyboard rotates back and forth when needed, but with the thinness of the Logitech case.

Does such a case exist?

Thanks.

gentlemangrim
May 14, 2011, 10:33 PM
I know it is not a case but have you looked at the bluetooth wireless keyboard made by apple? it is a much better option in my opinion, you could also use the smart cover a long side to prop up for typeing/ protecting your iPad.

tdx
May 14, 2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks but I really want, if possible, to keep the keyboard "on" my ipad at all times, tucked away in the back. Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist?

Night Spring
May 15, 2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks but I really want, if possible, to keep the keyboard "on" my ipad at all times, tucked away in the back. Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist?

I wouldn't say it doesn't exist, since I haven't searched for such a case myself, but it strikes me as somewhat unlikely. Also, a case with a keyboard that flips to the back will necessarily add bulk to the iPad, even if you get the keyborard to be extremely thin. I take it you have yet to use an iPad extensively. IMO, one of the best feature of the iPad 2 is its thinness. It's exactly the right shape to hold comfortably in your hand. Personally, I'm hesitant to add any extra bulk to it. You must feel similarly to be looking for a thin keyboard case. And I think you are imagining that if you had such a case, you can switch between keyboard-typing mode and tablet reading mode with the flick of the cover. However, in my experience, it's not as easy as that. In order to type, you need a stable flat surface. Most of the time, when I'm holding my iPad, I'm not near any stable flat surface. A keyboard case as thin as you want will likely not provide a firm enough surface to type comfortably on.

What I'm trying to say is, pick up the iPad, use it for a few days. See how you do with its on-screen keyboard. That will give you a better idea of what case / keybord will work for you.

amypintx
Aug 16, 2011, 09:06 PM
Did you ever find a case like what you were looking for? I'm looking for the same thing!

ilivestrong
Aug 17, 2011, 02:44 PM
I am not sure if this is what your are looking for but I just purchased the ZaggFolio that is a bluetooth keyboard and case combo. So far it works well for me. Cost is around $99
http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggfolio-ipad-2-keyboard-case

IrishVixen
Aug 17, 2011, 03:31 PM
I don't think I've seen anything thin and light that does what the OP is looking for. And if it's not thin and light, I agree with NightSpring that there's really not much point. You might as well get a netbook instead of an iPad if you're going to want to use a physical keyboard constantly.

As far as physical keyboard setups go, I've tried out many of the Bluetooth keyboards out there, and have NO regrets on going with the Apple Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard instead (not the iPad dock one). Paired with an Incase Origami Workstation keyboard case/iPad stand, it's about perfect. By going with a separate keyboard, you don't end up sacrificing the light weight of the iPad for the times when the virtual keyboard alone is sufficient--and that's most of the time IF you take the time to learn to master the virtual keyboard. It really isn't that hard to use; I've tapped out 2000 word chapters directly on the iPad, do a fair amount of editing with it, and it only took me about two weeks of consistent use to feel comfortable with longer sessions with just the virtual keyboard.

But for the times that you DO need a physical keyboard, none of the others even compare to the feel of the Apple setup. It's lightweight and compact without sacrificing the feel of a full size keyboard. The Incase Origami will allow you to use this setup even on your lap, though it's not as stable as a laptop would be, or as it would be when placed on a table. But it's definitely workable that way if you need that functionality.

There are a lot of times when I think a non Apple alternative is a better solution as far as accessories go. I can't say this is one of them.

jsh1120
Aug 18, 2011, 08:36 AM
I also prefer the AWK/Origami Workstation solution but I did notice the keyboard/iPad combo case from Belkin that approximates what the OP is looking for. Where it fails (inevitably) is on the "thin" requirement. Still, it seems to be a relatively good and somewhat distinctive design approach.

Watch the video on the webpage to see the "action."

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=551573#!prettyPhoto/0/

pekoe1111
Mar 14, 2012, 12:45 PM
I also want a "reversible" keyboard folio, where you can just open the folio 360 degrees. The Belkin Keyboard Folio does this, with many folds, but great thickness. The new Adonit Writer 2 Plus is perfect and thin - BUT it does not fold all the way back. The WeKreateIt Typerider seems to be perfect, but I'm not 100% sure it folds 360 degrees.

Any others that don't have silicone keyboards?

BB