PDA

View Full Version : DP2 Update 3 - Preview scrolling bug or future "feature"?

hellomoto4
May 15, 2011, 04:07 AM
Check out the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjybrGAcg1M

As you can see, when I scroll up/down whilst viewing my pdf document, sometimes it changes page by scrolling "over the top" of the previous page.
Surely this is how preview will behave in the future? Or just a bug?
Your thoughts?

baryon
May 15, 2011, 04:27 AM
I think Apple wants that to be a feature but I really think it's annoying. Continuous scrolling is fine.

ztrafe
May 15, 2011, 04:40 PM
horrible, come on Apple.

wankey
May 15, 2011, 04:47 PM
Poor design IMO.

Apple needs to define what is a website and what is a webpage.

This animation works well in the bowser because what we're looking at is a website, with content that could be multiple pages long but laid out in a linear form that you can scroll down. Overlapping this animation as you browser forward / backwards moves you to different parts of the website.

PDF's don't have this idea, PDfs are simply 1 webpage worth of content but using a kind of pagination. The animation shouldn't exist simply because people aren't using to scrolling websites where parts of the page is covered and revealed page by page as they scroll down.

TL;DR
Animation in browser is cool, but PDF doesn't work. Don't break what was never broken.

GreyMatta
May 15, 2011, 06:20 PM
I hate the new preview PDF scrolling :(

I am getting around it by using the up and down arrows but it isn't perfect

Come on Apple change it back to how it was please

Cougarcat
May 15, 2011, 06:42 PM
Wow, terrible idea. I bet there's a terminal command to disable it tho.

Varigon
May 15, 2011, 06:45 PM
How do we send it feedback about features to Apple? I'm a Mac OS X Developer. I have seen ways to send it bug reports, but not feature suggestions?

ZebraineZ
May 16, 2011, 03:07 AM
May I ask what that PDF is :D?

dethmaShine
May 16, 2011, 03:49 AM
Oiii!

I haven't tried that. Will discuss this in the evening. :|

pablos93
May 16, 2011, 03:51 AM
It's a bug

hellomoto4
May 16, 2011, 08:54 AM
Hmm yeah I don't like it either (if it works properly).
Hopefully Apple doesn't change an already working feature...
That said, it may definitely just be a bug and they have no intention of changing the behaviour. Who knows at the moment.

May I ask what that PDF is :D?

Ha, it's my year 12 calculus text book. Intriguing stuff!

jeanlain
May 16, 2011, 03:03 PM
Of course it's a bug.
:rolleyes:

rmbrown09
May 16, 2011, 03:21 PM
Differentiate The Following (Don't Cheat)
(4x^2+9x^4)^4(5x^2)

ufkdo
May 16, 2011, 03:54 PM
Differentiate The Following (Don't Cheat)
(4x^2+9x^4)^4(5x^2)

Take triple integral of this function in field C={.....} (too lazy to write, lol)

abe2010
May 31, 2011, 08:43 AM
So, I've figured it out. It depends on the speed you scroll your fingers. If you scroll slower than a certain speed then it will turn to the next or previous page. But if you scroll your fingers faster than that speed, it will scroll continuously as usual. (If you look in the "View" menu it even calls it continuous scrolling.)