PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Snow Leopard to Lion

seattle29
May 15, 2011, 04:20 AM
Hey people,

Will the upgrade to Lion be similar to Leopard --> Snow Leopard?

I mean, is it possible to upgrade the OS X and install Lion on top of Snow Leopard without wiping out the old OS and starting again?

Which option is recommended anyway?

Atarikid
May 15, 2011, 04:26 AM
Hey people,

Will the upgrade to Lion be similar to Leopard --> Snow Leopard?

I mean, is it possible to upgrade the OS X and install Lion on top of Snow Leopard without wiping out the old OS and starting again?

Which option is recommended anyway?

Yes upgrading works (even now with the DP versions). It will keep all settings (more or less).

netdog
May 15, 2011, 11:02 AM
And can we jump in straight with Preview 3 or do we need to start with the first preview and then run software update?

mrapplegate
May 15, 2011, 11:17 AM
And can we jump in straight with Preview 3 or do we need to start with the first preview and then run software update?
As of now, DP2 is the only version on the developer site, so you would have to start with it and upgrade to DP3 via the software update.

baryon
May 15, 2011, 11:25 AM
I'll format everything and start with a clean slate I think. I have weird bugs where my screen dims (that's normal) but then comes back randomly to full brightness. Also I think it's slower than it used to be. I'm afraid to carry over some rubbish from my current system, so I'll just format, install Lion and then drag everything back one by one, reinstall my apps, my iCal stuff, etc... It's going to suck but hey... Worth it!

EltonT
May 15, 2011, 01:31 PM
Would we testers be able to update to the final build because I'm about to update my mbp's SL to Lion DP3.

mrapplegate
May 15, 2011, 01:38 PM
Would we testers be able to update to the final build because I'm about to update my mbp's SL to Lion DP3.
According to Apple no. You can not upgrade from the DP to the final release.

Synaesthesia242
May 15, 2011, 01:39 PM
I'd recommend creating a new small partition on your hard drive and dual-booting Lion. If you are gonna upgrade make sure you have a full backup.

EltonT
May 15, 2011, 01:42 PM
I'd recommend creating a new small partition on your hard drive and dual-booting Lion. If you are gonna upgrade make sure you have a full backup.

The problem is, I'm already dual booting with windows. Would it be safe if i create another partition within my mac's?

mrapplegate
May 15, 2011, 01:49 PM
The problem is, I'm already dual booting with windows. Would it be safe if i create another partition within my mac's?

Safe would be waiting until it is released :D

It is a Preview only and is best tested on non-critical machines. If you need SL or Windows, then I would install Lion on a separate partition.