Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seattle29

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Hey people,

Will the upgrade to Lion be similar to Leopard --> Snow Leopard?

I mean, is it possible to upgrade the OS X and install Lion on top of Snow Leopard without wiping out the old OS and starting again?

Which option is recommended anyway?

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Hey people,

Will the upgrade to Lion be similar to Leopard --> Snow Leopard?

I mean, is it possible to upgrade the OS X and install Lion on top of Snow Leopard without wiping out the old OS and starting again?

Which option is recommended anyway?

Yes upgrading works (even now with the DP versions). It will keep all settings (more or less).

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
And can we jump in straight with Preview 3 or do we need to start with the first preview and then run software update?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I'll format everything and start with a clean slate I think. I have weird bugs where my screen dims (that's normal) but then comes back randomly to full brightness. Also I think it's slower than it used to be. I'm afraid to carry over some rubbish from my current system, so I'll just format, install Lion and then drag everything back one by one, reinstall my apps, my iCal stuff, etc... It's going to suck but hey... Worth it!

EltonT

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2010
Would we testers be able to update to the final build because I'm about to update my mbp's SL to Lion DP3.

Synaesthesia242

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
I'd recommend creating a new small partition on your hard drive and dual-booting Lion. If you are gonna upgrade make sure you have a full backup.

EltonT

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2010
I'd recommend creating a new small partition on your hard drive and dual-booting Lion. If you are gonna upgrade make sure you have a full backup.

The problem is, I'm already dual booting with windows. Would it be safe if i create another partition within my mac's?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
The problem is, I'm already dual booting with windows. Would it be safe if i create another partition within my mac's?

Safe would be waiting until it is released :D

It is a Preview only and is best tested on non-critical machines. If you need SL or Windows, then I would install Lion on a separate partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.