PDA

View Full Version : JOY FACTORY SmartSuit2 Ipad 2 case

brooka
May 15, 2011, 04:25 AM
Any one have this yet???? This would be great if the bottom of the case carried through and had a speaker grill and a cut out of the charging port.

Also comes in black...

http://www.thejoyfactory.com/page/ipad2/smartsuit2-white-silver-for-ipad-2.html/

irvine2001
May 15, 2011, 09:45 PM
I have done extensive researches about iPad2 cases. This guy is by far the best I have ever seen. Great workmanship. Elegant design with all smart cover features. The best thing is that it does not add much weight and thickness to the iPad.
Very happy with the investment!:)

jeme
May 15, 2011, 10:46 PM
I have one as well, I wish the bottom was totally covered. Also got a speck pixel skin today and it is way too heavy. I had the model the joy factory makes that just snaps on the back and is used with the apple smart cover, well someone knocked my iPad off a counter and the smart cover poped off and the back cover cracked and my iPad was dented on the corner. Thank god it did not break the screen.

All that said I think the Smart suit would not offer any additional protection, bottom line don't drop it and don't expect that type of protection from this case. Other than that build quality is nice and it is a good case.

brooka
May 16, 2011, 12:04 AM
Do you guys know of any Video reviews for this?
Or could you do one? Would love to see it other then a picture.

If only the case had full protection at the bottom. I have no idea why they decided that was the best way to do it :S Considering the rest of the case is protected!

Aqua Bliss
May 16, 2011, 01:32 AM
This case would be a winner if they didn't put a big JOY logo on it. Kinda takes the joy right out of it.

PracticalMac
May 16, 2011, 09:04 AM
$10 cheaper then CarbonCover (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1150039),

http://www.ion-factory.com/images/products/iPad/carboncover/carboncover5.jpg

I wonder which is better? CC above, or Joy SmartSuite below?
http://www.thejoyfactory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/_/3_8.jpg

http://www.thejoyfactory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/9/_/9_7.jpg

brooka
May 16, 2011, 10:04 AM
I actually owned the Carbon Case....sent it back...

Here is my post from the other thread about the carbon cover..

DO NOT GET THIS CASE.......

I got this case delivered the other week and returned it straight away.

Everything was amazing about it, the look, the feel, the on off feature..

BUT

Try and fold the cover into the triangle and stand itinerary portrait mode. Fat chance. It worked about 20% of the time. The other 80% it collapsed from the weight of the case and iPad2.

If you go on ION's Facebook page they say to carefully make sure that the fold is positioned right when in portrait mode. Why the hell would I want to carefully place the cover every single time I want to put it into portrait mode???? I want to use it like the smart cover from apple.... It just works... No thought process, just fold it up and it stands.

Anyway I got a full refund after 6 emails back and forth from them.
If they fix this issue, this would of been the best case yet for iPad 2.

Sorry guys! Hope this helps.

Night Spring
May 16, 2011, 11:37 AM
If you go on ION's Facebook page they say to carefully make sure that the fold is positioned right when in portrait mode. Why the hell would I want to carefully place the cover every single time I want to put it into portrait mode???? I want to use it like the smart cover from apple.... It just works... No thought process, just fold it up and it stands.

Well, you do know that the Apple smart cover doesn't work in portrait mode? Somebody in one of the other threads reported that they tried that, and the iPad fell and broke the screen. (Sorry, can't remember which thread.)

nosser
May 16, 2011, 12:12 PM
Well, you do know that the Apple smart cover doesn't work in portrait mode? Somebody in one of the other threads reported that they tried that, and the iPad fell and broke the screen. (Sorry, can't remember which thread.)

Do you use a smart cover? I have no issues with mine with a TPU case from ebay.

Night Spring
May 16, 2011, 12:18 PM
Do you use a smart cover? I have no issues with mine with a TPU case from ebay.

Yes, I do. And I'd never dare try to stand it up in portrait! Way too unstable. There's almost no support for the iPad in that position.

brooka
May 16, 2011, 06:50 PM
I have a TPU back cover and smart cover at the moment. but hate the qaulity of the TPU case and the black leather smart cover scratches SO EASILY!!

I find the portrait mode fine in the smart cover..... was 80% more stable then the ION FACTORY Carbon Case. The difference here is that this cover has 4 folds rather then 3. This is WAY more stable then ION's which has 3 folds and just collapses on the weight of the case.

This is why I was looking at the Smartsuit2....but the open bottom bit is throwing me off. I sent them an email asking if they would consider a re-design in the near future and close that gap with the appropriate cut outs in place for speaker and charger.
They said thank you for the feedback and they would bring it up with their design team and to make those adjustments in the near future.....so who knows!

brooka
May 16, 2011, 09:26 PM
Here are some pics I found with a mini review...

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=3240132

Thomilee
May 18, 2011, 11:51 AM
fyi...
If you "Like" Joy Factory's Facebook page, they give you a discount code... I just got 15% off my order of the Smartsuit2... $8.99 savings! Nice!
http://www.facebook.com/thejoyfactory

Gjwilly
May 18, 2011, 12:58 PM
Would be nice if someone would do a head-to-head with the SmartSuit and the Microshell Folio.
Thoe are the two I'm still trying to decide between.

Mpulse
May 18, 2011, 09:02 PM
Rec'd mine today. Looks great (almost elegant) and cool packaging. Doesn't add much to profile of iPad and is very light. Returned Speck pixelskin today. Although it probably provides more protection against impact it also added more weight. Case main contact points left side top and bottom and entire right side of iPad. Top and bottom ridges exposed. Logo many are complaining about a non issue (for me at least). Only complaint is when it's closed and you pick up from right side shifting cover seems to make iPad screen open and close (you can hear lock click a couple of times). Spine maybe should have been stiffer or run entire length of iPad. If you're going to purchase go to their Facebook page and like to receive 15% promo code.

brooka
May 18, 2011, 10:50 PM
Rec'd mine today. Looks great (almost elegant) and cool packaging. Doesn't add much to profile of iPad and is very light. Returned Speck pixelskin today. Although it probably provides more protection against impact it also added more weight. Case main contact points left side top and bottom and entire right side of iPad. Top and bottom ridges exposed. Logo many are complaining about a non issue (for me at least). Only complaint is when it's closed and you pick up from right side shifting cover seems to make iPad screen open and close (you can hear lock click a couple of times). Spine maybe should have been stiffer or run entire length of iPad. If you're going to purchase go to their Facebook page and like to receive 15% promo code.

Hey man
was wondering on what your thoughts are on the bottom being exposed. Is this a big issue? Is the gap big enough to worry about? Thats my main worry about the case. If the gap is little then that might be fine...just hard to judge in the pics and would rather someone who has it give their opinion.

Also any pics you could post of your would be great!
Also any issues of the magnets turning off the ipad accidentally when you flip the cover all the way to the back?

AND

How stable is the stand in landscape mode and whats the angle like?

Sorry for all the questions.....seriously looking at buying this case but need to make sure it ticks all the boxes :)

yOyOYoo
May 18, 2011, 11:01 PM
This case would be a winner if they didn't put a big JOY logo on it. Kinda takes the joy right out of it.

Agree completely! WOw that logo is hideous!!!

Mpulse
May 19, 2011, 11:29 AM
Hey man
was wondering on what your thoughts are on the bottom being exposed. Is this a big issue? Is the gap big enough to worry about? Thats my main worry about the case. If the gap is little then that might be fine...just hard to judge in the pics and would rather someone who has it give their opinion.

Also any pics you could post of your would be great!
Also any issues of the magnets turning off the ipad accidentally when you flip the cover all the way to the back?

AND

How stable is the stand in landscape mode and whats the angle like?

Sorry for all the questions.....seriously looking at buying this case but need to make sure it ticks all the boxes :)

Included pics re: exposed area. More exposer than I would like and it will probably be addressed in next rev. Placed on solid level surface in landscape mode and gave it a number of pokes at top of iPad and was pretty solid. As solid as this design of stand will be. Wider/higher base would be nice, but cover has only so much area. Sits at about 75 deg angle. Pics also show relative size of logo. It's not a deal breaker. Little pricey, but if you were willing to pay $75 for apple smart cover, $65 for same tech and protection for back of iPad seems like good deal to me.

jwong3854
May 19, 2011, 01:53 PM
I bought one, use it for 2 days, it has chips from the back cover, so I bought another one, got it today, but then it has something in the middle of the cover, i thought it was a magnet, but the on/off function still works..I am going to order the third one, hope this will be the charm..

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1db38b3127ccefd73a6db105e00000030O10AatmbRo4bt2QPbz4Y/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D1/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1db38b3127ccefd735bb6d1e500000030O10AatmbRo4bt2QPbz4Y/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D1/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Thomilee
May 24, 2011, 10:35 AM
Got mine today... I ordered the white/silver cover. I must say, it's pretty slick. I like this cover a lot. I returned a raspberry pixelskin cover for this one and am sooo happy I did! The logo on the front, like the prvious poster suggested really isn't even an issue. It stands out way more in photos than it does in person. As a person who likes clean lines and solid colors, I'd despise it if it were as hideous as some of the photos make it out to be. The areas that are left exposed in the gaps of the cover may be a deal breaker for some. It almost was for me. I wanted a cover that provided full protection like the pixelskin that I originally ordered, but I also wanted something visually appealing, light, and used the magnetic functionality of the iPad 2. This is as close as I could find.

Jovani.ivan
Jun 14, 2011, 07:43 PM
Anyone have any followup opinions of the SmartSuit2?

I'm mostly interested in knowing it's magnet strength and how stable it is in typing mode/vertical mode.

Thanks!

waylay00
Jun 15, 2011, 03:05 AM
Also interested. This case catches my eye. If someone could combine the best aspects of the Microshell Folio, the CarbonCover, and this case, then I would be in heaven.

Motliest Crue
Jun 15, 2011, 10:40 AM
Anyone have any followup opinions of the SmartSuit2?

I'm mostly interested in knowing it's magnet strength and how stable it is in typing mode/vertical mode.

Thanks!

I got this in the mail Saturday 6/11 (ordered off Amazon 6/7). Very nice case, it looks great and feels great. I am not at all concerned about the cutout on the bottom. there is about 1/4'' of case / padding so it will never scrape on a counter / desk / table, the only real concern would be carrying the ipad around and whacking the very bottom on something.

The only thing I didn't like about the case was the awful smell - it's not really leather and it smelled awful. I aired it out all day Sunday by opening my bow window and standing it up, spraying it with Frebreeze, and pointing a fan at it.

Smells fine now

PracticalMac
Jun 24, 2011, 04:04 PM
I got this in the mail Saturday 6/11 (ordered off Amazon 6/7). Very nice case, it looks great and feels great. I am not at all concerned about the cutout on the bottom. there is about 1/4'' of case / padding so it will never scrape on a counter / desk / table, the only real concern would be carrying the ipad around and whacking the very bottom on something.

The only thing I didn't like about the case was the awful smell - it's not really leather and it smelled awful. I aired it out all day Sunday by opening my bow window and standing it up, spraying it with Frebreeze, and pointing a fan at it.

Smells fine now

Humm,

Frebreeze gets the new smell out.
Fabreeze get the stinky, moldy smell out. ;)