Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WalkingSnake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
I know a lot of people get screen protection or anti-glare films to put on their iPad screens. The Canvas even includes it. However I've heard some people say they prefer the feeling of the glass, and it's slightly smoother to do a lot of gestures and swiping on the bare glass.

So I'm looking for opinions before I decide to use one for myself. I'd hate to waste one by applying it and deciding I don't want to use it. Is the feeling THAT different? Do you personally use films for either protective or anti-glare purposes?

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I put a Power Support anti-glare on mine. I usually go for the crystals but thought I would try the anti-glare for once and am glad I did. It feels smooth and good when touching the screen, no graininess, and really does a good job on keeping fingerprints off.

I put it on because my grandkids will be using it and you never know what will happen when little fingers are involved. However, because of the fingerprint thing I now would put it on anyway. Plus it is nice out on the patio preventing the glare. If it has decreased the screen clarity I haven't noticed.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I know a lot of people get screen protection or anti-glare films to put on their iPad screens. The Canvas even includes it. However I've heard some people say they prefer the feeling of the glass, and it's slightly smoother to do a lot of gestures and swiping on the bare glass.

I disagree.

I know it seems counter intuitive, but gestures and swiping is a lot smoother on an anti-glare screen protector.

Last edited:

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I know I'm glad I put one on. I got an iPad2 and put the PS screen protector on. Within 5 days, I got a scratch on the protector that would have messed up my screen even though I treated it with kid gloves. I'm glad I put one on!

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I know I'm glad I put one on. I got an iPad2 and put the PS screen protector on. Within 5 days, I got a scratch on the protector that would have messed up my screen even though I treated it with kid gloves. I'm glad I put one on!

It's not a question of scratch protection, it's a question of feel.

WalkingSnake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
It's not a question of scratch protection, it's a question of feel.

It's a question of both, really. My main reason for posting was to figure out if it was worth it. If I get a folio-style case, I didn't want to put anything else on the screen if it would take away from the user experience. If it really doesn't, as you've point out, then I'll probably go ahead and use one.

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
It's a question of both, really. My main reason for posting was to figure out if it was worth it. If I get a folio-style case, I didn't want to put anything else on the screen if it would take away from the user experience. If it really doesn't, as you've point out, then I'll probably go ahead and use one.

Ive tried a couple different screen protectors from clear to antiglare and the powersupport antiglare is the very best. Perfect fit, smooth as glass and reduces fingerprints and glare. You wont regret going with the PS AG.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I hope you like feeling a bunch of tiny minor scratches after a few weeks of using it without a screen protector then.

Huh!?!

I'm Pro Screen Protector.

But my reasons is not purely for scratch protection. I made the argument that you get a better feel with an Anti-Glare vs Bare Glass.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
I actually don't like the bare glass. My finger tends to "drag" across it. It's only bare because my screen protectors haven't arrived yet, but I have somewhat high hopes that it'll be smoother with one. This was the case with my iPod Touch years ago.

This is a 1st Gen if it matters.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007

All SP's pick up scratches mores than the actual glass.

That scratch you have would most likely not even have occurred on the naked screen.

nwbusa

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2010
BC, Canada
Another vote for the PS AG screen protector. Vastly improves the feel of the screen and mitigates the oily fingerprints. Well worth the expense IMO.

felch

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2010
I have a power support crystal on. I need something to protect it from my wife's wedding ring and anyone else who uses it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.