Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
So I got my iPad 2 last month. It was brand new from the apple online store. When I unpacked it and plugged it into my MacBook Pro - much to my disappointment - neither the iPad or the MBP would respond.

Tried a few things - installing the latest version of iTunes, restarting iPad & the Mac. But none of those worked. My first thought was that it was obviously the cable that came with the iPad which was faulty, and to test I plugged that same cable into my iPhone, expecting it not to work there either. However, to my surprise my iPhone came to life and it began to charge perfectly! :eek:

It was becoming obvious the problem lay with the iPad itself, but not willing to accept that I had recieved a dud, I started experimenting some more and eventually I got my iPad to work. I did this by plugging in the cable that came with my iPhone, and in a certain position it would miraculously begin charging, syncing etc.

So I've been living with it this past month, but I'm getting ever more irritated by the fact this iPad is obviously faulty. Even though it works with my iPhone cable, that's only half the time because as said before it needs to be put in a specific position. If not in that position, the iPad either won't recognise it at all or it'll say NOT CHARGING.

I've booked it into my local genius bar but I am worried that they are not going to do anything because it "works" and also because my story of the iPad not accepting any cable but the iPhone cable (even though they're all more or less the same) is too far-fetched, even though it IS true...

Does anybody have or had the same issue with any of their iPads or other iDevices? What could the issue be, does anyone think?

NOTE: Also worth noting is that when I first plugged in my iPad I noticed it was incredibly difficult, as though the cable wouldn't fit the connector. I've seen others mention the same thing, however they don't seem to have been left in the same predicament as me.

Last edited:

patrickj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Texas
I haven't had any similar issues, though I did find the iPad 2 cable difficult to insert and remove at the outset. It got better, or I got more adept at it, quite quickly though.

I wouldn't feel worried about how the Apple Genius should react. Stress to them that it is an intermittent issue and that the fact is the iPad will not always charge reliably, as it should. That should be enough for them to offer to exchange it for you.

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
I haven't had any similar issues, though I did find the iPad 2 cable difficult to insert and remove at the outset. It got better, or I got more adept at it, quite quickly though.

I wouldn't feel worried about how the Apple Genius should react. Stress to them that it is an intermittent issue and that the fact is the iPad will not always charge reliably, as it should. That should be enough for them to offer to exchange it for you.

I hope so. It's just so confusing how it won't work with the cable it came with full stop but will kinda work with the iPhones cable. Yet my iPhone and iPod Touch will work with any cable, including the iPads cable.

patrickj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Texas
I hope so. It's just so confusing how it won't work with the cable it came with full stop but will kinda work with the iPhones cable. Yet my iPhone and iPod Touch will work with any cable, including the iPads cable.

The fact it won't charge with its original cable (that works with other devices) seems like more than enough reason to get it exchanged. Good luck.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Take your MBP and iphone with you so you can replicate the problem in front of them. Probably worthwhile to take a 2nd Apple branded cable so you can show the problem is specific to the ipad and not in the cable or MacbookPro.

Should be a slam dunk for replacement, what you're experiencing is not normal behavior.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
Take it to the store with the original cable. They'll swap it, job done.

yeah. You worried too much for nothing ;-)

Next time, when you receive a problematic product from Apple, just return it. I am guessing that the reason you didn't want to exchange it is because you've been waiting so long for the iPad 2 and now can't believe that you received a product with a problem.

I know, letting go is difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.