PDA

View Full Version : Zagg invisibleSHIELD or Best Skins Ever?

brolfsen
May 15, 2011, 02:31 PM
I'm looking to get just a back shield for my iPad 2. Which one is the best out there? If not either the Zagg or Best Skins Ever, what other ones are there? Thanks.

drenline
May 15, 2011, 04:08 PM
I've used both of them before and I prefer BSE over zagg, although zagg is still a good product.

Pballer110
May 15, 2011, 04:11 PM
I'm looking to get just a back shield for my iPad 2. Which one is the best out there? If not either the Zagg or Best Skins Ever, what other ones are there? Thanks.

I like wrapsol the best, it doesnt have that orange peel effect and the back has a nice matte finish which adds grip.

Tobster3
May 15, 2011, 06:02 PM
BSE. It has less of an "Orange Peel" look to it.

gigemzach
May 16, 2011, 09:54 PM
Best skins ever has much better cutouts.

brolfsen
May 17, 2011, 12:26 AM
Thanks guys, I went ahead and ordered the BSE Back Skin for my iPad 2. I can't wait for it to get here so I can put that bad boy on. Also I was pleasantly surprised how cheap it was (there's a sale at BSE.com) compared to the Zagg invisibleSHIELD. It came to $15.99 after shipping.

eljanitor
May 17, 2011, 12:41 AM
Invisible Shield is a great product, but over time I have seen that the corners can start to come up a bit. Also when you get a gouge in your invisible shield, like possibly on the display, you need to remove it and install another one which is a little time consuming and expensive.

gutraveler
May 17, 2011, 01:30 AM
Hey Brolfsen,

Let me know what you think of it when you get it in the mail. I am also considering getting a new one. I am using a folio case now and need something lighter.

Benbikeman
May 17, 2011, 04:56 AM
Definitely not Invisible Shield: I bought one and am going to replace it with Power Support.

Invisible Shield has an orange-peel effect that is visible on black areas of the screen, and has a horrible rubbery feel.

Tobster3
May 17, 2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks guys, I went ahead and ordered the BSE Back Skin for my iPad 2. I can't wait for it to get here so I can put that bad boy on. Also I was pleasantly surprised how cheap it was (there's a sale at BSE.com) compared to the Zagg invisibleSHIELD. It came to $15.99 after shipping.

One suggestion. Make sure to check out youtube for videos of installation of the BSE and other recommendations here on MacRumours Forums. Corners of the BSE for iPad 2 are slightly tricky but pressure and persistance pays off :D

L0ADING
May 17, 2011, 08:43 AM
Does anyone have a back cover and use the switcheasy canvas?

does it fit well?

i would like to put a cover on the back of my ipad just for the scratch protection but if it wont fit in my switch easy canvas not really any point

3goldens
May 17, 2011, 09:42 AM
Personally, I find both are atrocious.

After reading how popular both were, I tried them.

I can only describe the experience after application as a screen that was once a nice clean fluid surface to run ones fingers over was now transformed into an unpleasent hostile sticky rubbery environment that inhibited the users experience on the IPad.

Never really understood the popularity of these two products, perhaps its the price point and advertising, but in my opinion they are both nothing but inexpensive sheets of a latex cut to the size of an iPad ruining the users experience.

While there is really is no need for these screen protectors according to Apple, people insist on them and, consequently there are no shortage of manufacturers out there more than willing to supply them at whatever price they can get.

On the consumer side there is no shortage of suckers lining up to buy their low grade plastic protectors instead of investing in the higher quality well made ones that last longer, are made of a much higher quality film and have a totally different feel when touching the screen and better visual experience when looking at it.

I think it's preferable to go with out rather than putting one of these cheap sticky films and ruining your overall experience with your IPad.

revenent
May 17, 2011, 10:59 AM
I am using the SGP body shield.

The front is the normal screen protector hence no orange peel effect. I opted for the glossy version and it is a normal dry install.

The back of it however is a wet application installation. So far after 48 hours, it looks good. Does not have an orange peel look like invisible shield and does provide a certain amount of extra grip on the back. Application was easy, no bubbles whatsoever. Only time will tell if the edges and corners come off.

Taxmann
May 18, 2011, 07:57 AM
I was waiting for my invinsible shield for two weeks to arrive for my iphone 4 and ipad 2.

Got it today and spent the worst 3 hours of my life trying to install it on my devices.

Sorry to say the videos on their website do not show the true situation as far as installation is concerned but I guess they couldnt upload a 2 hour video showing an actual duration of the installation!

Zagg is an amazing company. I already bought from them the Zagg keyboard which is a great accessory for the ipad but sorry guys STAY AWAY from the invinsible screen protector unless you know somebody that can install it for you. My two screen protectors ended in the dustbin! People around the world are hungry and I just got that money wasted! If you want to buy such a product, try your luck!

What a shame! I got mislead by a youtube video on their website which looked so real and such a great product!

I do however recommend the ZAGG keyboard.

Janet1
May 19, 2011, 02:44 AM
I just had an antiglare Zagg Invisisheild put on my iPad.

This is god awful. I don't even know how to describe it. All I see are multicolored pixels all over the screen. how could anyone find this acceptable?

I liked the regular screen protector, and even kind of liked that orange peel feel to it, but this one is ridiculous.

I had Best Buy install it. They did it free.

donnaw
May 19, 2011, 04:31 AM
I just bought my husband an iPad yesterday. He's pretty hard on his gadgets. I put a ZGg on his Focus and it looks ok but there was a Ghost Armour place right outside the Apple store and on a whim I had one put on the back. It's really nice and the guy put it on perfectly. I opted out of putting it on the front because there was a slight orange peel effect (although not nearly as bad as Zagg). But since this doesn't go in his pocket I think I will put just a Power Support anti-glare on the front.

Overall, though, I'm impressed with the GA. Looks nice, adds protection from scratches, covers the entire back and has a life-time warranty. Definitely a pick over Zagg. Does not feel as sticky.

Janet1
May 19, 2011, 08:38 AM
Got it today and spent the worst 3 hours of my life trying to install it on my devices.
My two screen protectors ended in the dustbin! People around the world are hungry and I just got that money wasted! If you want to buy such a product, try your luck!

I can tell you why you couldn't install it. It's because little kit they give you with the Invisishield doesn't contain anywhere near enough fluid for proper installation.

I attempted to install my first Zagg Invisishield on my iPad 1, and couldn't do it either. Only I bought it from Best Buy, so I took it back, complained, and they gave me a new one. I then paid to have them install it and watched them do it.

They didn't have any problem because they use great big spray bottles filled with fluid and thoroughly soak both the ipad and the screen protector.

The fluid in the tiny bottle that comes with the kit only contains about 1/5th the amount they used. It's simply not enough.

They remembered me from that visit, why is why they gave me a free installation on the screen protector for my iPad 2. Wish I hadn't agreed to buy the anti-glare type instead though.

club1820
May 19, 2011, 09:58 PM
I've used both of them before and I prefer BSE over zagg, although zagg is still a good product.

drenline, can you elaborate a bit? Why do you prefer BSE?

Thanks.

club1820
May 19, 2011, 10:01 PM
BSE. It has less of an "Orange Peel" look to it.

So if I understand correctly, BSE still does have an Orange Peel but not as much as Zagg? Is the peel significant (very noticeable)?

benhollberg
May 19, 2011, 10:04 PM
Zagg without question.

club1820
May 19, 2011, 10:06 PM
So I just purchased an iPad2 for my wife and was going to purchase a Zagg for the front and back. I've used them before and although a pain to put on, and yes - it does have orange peel, I know that beneath the shield the screen is as nice as when my gadgets were first purchased.

But since I'm dreading the install I thought I might see what else is out there so I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. From the looks of it so far, most prefer BSE (which I had never heard of). Is it pretty much the same as the Zagg just less expensive? Does it diminish the "look" of the screen at all?

Thanks and hope I'm not hijacking the thread but figured my questions are similar to O.P.

Thanks!

jedolley
May 19, 2011, 10:22 PM
So I just purchased an iPad2 for my wife and was going to purchase a Zagg for the front and back. I've used them before and although a pain to put on, and yes - it does have orange peel, I know that beneath the shield the screen is as nice as when my gadgets were first purchased.

But since I'm dreading the install I thought I might see what else is out there so I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. From the looks of it so far, most prefer BSE (which I had never heard of). Is it pretty much the same as the Zagg just less expensive? Does it diminish the "look" of the screen at all?

Thanks and hope I'm not hijacking the thread but figured my questions are similar to O.P.

Thanks!

I've used several different kinds of "self healing" skins (i.e. Zagg, BSE, Phantomskinz, Body Guardz, and most recently Clear Protector) and Zagg is the worse. All the skins appear to be made of similar materials, but each is slightly different due to their production process, added coating, and designed cuts. IMO, Zagg has a very tacky feel to it. If you use Phantomskinz for example, you'll notice a HUGE difference because they add a nice clear coat to their skin to get a nice smooth feel to it.

The reason Zagg is popular is because it's availability in retail stores like Best Buy. The others I have mentioned only advertise online if at all, and you can usually only buy them online except for a few mall kiosks here or there.

I was going to go into more detail and examples, but to be honest this topic has been discussed MANY times on this forum alone and a quick search will give you all the info you need.

gigemzach
May 19, 2011, 11:00 PM
So if I understand correctly, BSE still does have an Orange Peel but not as much as Zagg? Is the peel significant (very noticeable)?
Yes. Just much less. You can only tell under overhead lights.

club1820
May 19, 2011, 11:09 PM
I've used several different kinds of "self healing" skins (i.e. Zagg, BSE, Phantomskinz, Body Guardz, and most recently Clear Protector) and Zagg is the worse. All the skins appear to be made of similar materials, but each is slightly different due to their production process, added coating, and designed cuts. IMO, Zagg has a very tacky feel to it. If you use Phantomskinz for example, you'll notice a HUGE difference because they add a nice clear coat to their skin to get a nice smooth feel to it.

jedolley, thanks. This thread was towards the top as there were recent posts and it was the exact (pretty much) question(s) I was looking to get answered here. You mention two other skins I am not familiar with. I will search the forum for more details but you piqued my interest now in the Phantomskinz due to the clear coat and smooth feel you describe. that is exactly what I am looking for. At least for the screen portion.

Thanks again!

club1820
May 19, 2011, 11:10 PM
Yes. Just much less. You can only tell under overhead lights.

Thanks! I can live with a bit of orange peel but would prefer one without. something as close to the original screen w/o skin as possible.

Thanks for your help.

jedolley
May 20, 2011, 07:02 AM
jedolley, thanks. This thread was towards the top as there were recent posts and it was the exact (pretty much) question(s) I was looking to get answered here. You mention two other skins I am not familiar with. I will search the forum for more details but you piqued my interest now in the Phantomskinz due to the clear coat and smooth feel you describe. that is exactly what I am looking for. At least for the screen portion.

Thanks again!

I'm a big fan of Phantomskinz, especially for touch screen devices since their skins have a smoother feel than all the other ones I have tried. However, I should warn that their design/cut for the iPad 2 is not the best IMO. The corners can be difficult to apply.

When it comes to the design/cut for the iPad, BSE, Ghost Armor, and Wrapsol did a better job IMO.

club1820
May 20, 2011, 01:53 PM
After reading all the posts and various opinions, etc. - I went with the BSE. But not sure if I will keep the front. Everyone seemed to recommend it for the back and not so much for the front. since it was only $2 more for the full kit - I ordered it.

I am going to apply it (front) and if I don't like how it turns out - will then be going with a Powersupport or SGP front screen protector. Both highly recommended by everyone on here.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

gigemzach
May 20, 2011, 05:05 PM
After reading all the posts and various opinions, etc. - I went with the BSE. But not sure if I will keep the front. Everyone seemed to recommend it for the back and not so much for the front. since it was only $2 more for the full kit - I ordered it.

I am going to apply it (front) and if I don't like how it turns out - will then be going with a Powersupport or SGP front screen protector. Both highly recommended by everyone on here.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

That's exactly what I did.

whatdoiknw
May 29, 2011, 04:45 AM
i've been a IS fan for a while and have used it on all my phones, cameras. I tried BSE once and it was terrible (didn't like the texture, easily smudge, and just didn't seem as durable as IS)

now though, I've started using Wrapsol. it doesn't have the "orange peel" texture and the feel of sliding on it is really a lot nicer than the other two.

plus it keeps the sexyness of the back if you get the "original" version. I wouldn't recommend their dry applications.