PDA

View Full Version : Need a video card for turning an old pc into a media center server

Tydog07
May 15, 2011, 07:15 PM
I'm trying to hook up my old computer that I don't use anymore to my HDTV and I need a new video card, the problem is that I only have AGP and PCI slots, no PCI-Express, what will do the job for under $50 so I can hook my computer up to my tv? Do I need HDCP?

flopticalcube
May 15, 2011, 07:33 PM
Radeon Sapphire 3850 8xAGP is HDCP compliant. eBay has a few. If you can get a hold of Radeon's custom DVI-HDMI adapter, I think it will do sound through HDMI as well. You only need HDCP if you are playing protected content like Blu-Ray or iTunes.

Tydog07
May 15, 2011, 08:56 PM
Radeon Sapphire 3850 8xAGP is HDCP compliant. eBay has a few. If you can get a hold of Radeon's custom DVI-HDMI adapter, I think it will do sound through HDMI as well. You only need HDCP if you are playing protected content like Blu-Ray or iTunes.

Thank you sir! It's a little costly, but I think I can manage. If I were to use my current video card, would you reccomend that I connect to my HDTV using a VGA-VGA cable or a DVI-HDMI cable? The PC labled input on my HDTV has a VGA but no DVI port.

flopticalcube
May 17, 2011, 09:10 PM
Dvi is HDMI without audio so that would be best. Many TVs can't do a decent resolution off of VGA. I run my mini this way.