PDA

View Full Version : Enterprise Search on Mac OS X Server

macoffice
May 15, 2011, 10:23 PM
Hi all -

First time poster here. I work in a small office of about 5 users running mac clients on a mac server. We're looking for a robust search engine for the documents and files on our server. Spotlight is not cutting it for us. We require the ability to run more complex boolean queries, and would also like to see the results returned in a preview mode with the hits highlighted. We would like something like x1, dtSearch of Isys for windows. I tried HoudahSpot and it doesn't cut it. DevonThink is quite robust, but it doesn't appear to play well with multiple users on a server.

I'm thinking I might need to roll out something like Apache's Lucene, but I'm a little intimidated by the install process. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Eric-PTEK
Jun 2, 2011, 03:23 AM
Hi all -

First time poster here. I work in a small office of about 5 users running mac clients on a mac server. We're looking for a robust search engine for the documents and files on our server. Spotlight is not cutting it for us. We require the ability to run more complex boolean queries, and would also like to see the results returned in a preview mode with the hits highlighted. We would like something like x1, dtSearch of Isys for windows. I tried HoudahSpot and it doesn't cut it. DevonThink is quite robust, but it doesn't appear to play well with multiple users on a server.

I'm thinking I might need to roll out something like Apache's Lucene, but I'm a little intimidated by the install process. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Microsoft Search Server for SharePoint is fantastic.

But it requires SharePoint, but you can get Foundation for free, and Search Server Express is free too with some limitations.

Since it supports Open Search I think you could even tie in the Searchlight dialog box to it. We use an open search connector to make the Win7 search box talk directly to it.

Does an amazing job. On the free version we have it at one customer indexing over 120K files, including all their email/contacts/calendar/SharePoint site.

However moving to the paid version comes at a high price, HW/SW your looking at a 20K investment min.