PDA

View Full Version : Cheap ibook? where to buy?

Mobius 1
May 16, 2011, 02:21 AM
i want to buy a PPC mac only for downloading torrent. i do everything else on my newer macbook.

where can i get REALLY CHEAP (90-100 ish) ones w/ HDD 45GB of free space.

oh and USB 2.0

10.4 or 10.5 is fine

AdrianK
May 16, 2011, 02:41 AM
If you're handy, I'd suggest getting a first-gen ATV. You can install OS X Tiger on it, then you're left with a semi-functioning computer with a 1GHz Celeron M and 256mb of RAM. Core Image and audio don't work though (though you can use an external DAC). Then you can use it for torrents, jDownloader, samba shares etc. You could leave it headless and use VNC to queue up a torrent.

Just a thought :P

Mobius 1
May 16, 2011, 01:03 PM
I need a laptop PPC for this.

coz i don't have extra screen for an ATV.

iLucas
May 16, 2011, 02:16 PM
eBay would probably be your cheapest option.

AdrianK
May 16, 2011, 02:49 PM
I need a laptop PPC for this.

coz i don't have extra screen for an ATV.

You just need a TV with HDMI or component inputs to set it up, after that you can remove the monitor and control it from another machine. I understand that that might not be an ideal solution, just shedding some light on it.

cocacolakid
May 16, 2011, 03:21 PM
eBay, Craigslist (if you're near a major city), or keep an eye on the iBook deals page on Low End Mac (http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-ibook-g4-prices.html) (which is only updated a few times a year).

$150 is the more common price, so you'll have to be vigilant to find one for $100.

You could consider an iBook G3, which is far cheaper, but they do not have USB 2.0. Although you could connect a Firewire 400 external hard drive to them.

stroked
May 16, 2011, 05:59 PM
Craigslist, if your real patient. I just picked up an older 1 GHz Powerbook for a bill.