PDA

View Full Version : iPad 2 - AV adapter - LG TV

K4LK
May 16, 2011, 08:13 AM
Hi all,

I bought the AV adapter at the Apple store and a Mediabridge cable from Amazon even though I don't have an HDMI-capable TV at home yet.

I was in a hotel Saturday night and plugged the iPad 2 into a 46" LG. It has two HDMI jacks. I think the TV was fed by an in-house cable system. Anyway, the LG reported the input from the iPad as 1024x768 at 60Hz in mirror mode. The image didn't look all that good. I thought it was supposed to be 1080p. I then launched the Videos app and played a couple HD videos I purchased off the store. Again, 1024x768/60 Hz and not so good looking. Thought videos were supposed to be 720p. This can't be right. I couldn't find anything in the menus.

Thanks for any help. Maybe the LG wasn't setup properly. I'm going to try a few TVs at Best Buy.

glen e
May 16, 2011, 08:17 AM
Hi all,

I bought the AV adapter at the Apple store and a Mediabridge cable from Amazon even though I don't have an HDMI-capable TV at home yet.

I was in a hotel Saturday night and plugged the iPad 2 into a 46" LG. It has two HDMI jacks. I think the TV was fed by an in-house cable system. Anyway, the LG reported the input from the iPad as 1024x768 at 60Hz in mirror mode. The image didn't look all that good. I thought it was supposed to be 1080p. I then launched the Videos app and played a couple HD videos I purchased off the store. Again, 1024x768/60 Hz and not so good looking. Thought videos were supposed to be 720p. This can't be right. I couldn't find anything in the menus.

Thanks for any help. Maybe the LG wasn't setup properly. I'm going to try a few TVs at Best Buy.

it was not - the LG's in many hotels are locked out/modified for inputs - I have run into it several times - using a 42 LG at home and works fine...

HazyCloud
May 16, 2011, 11:33 AM
it was not - the LG's in many hotels are locked out/modified for inputs - I have run into it several times - using a 42 LG at home and works fine...

The ports shouldn't be locked to a certain resolution. The iPad 2 mirrors only at 1024x768 and will only output 1080p if the app supports it like Real Racing 2.

K4LK
May 16, 2011, 06:33 PM
The ports shouldn't be locked to a certain resolution. The iPad 2 mirrors only at 1024x768 and will only output 1080p if the app supports it like Real Racing 2.

According to a review at iLounge.com:

The iPad 2 appears to choose the best resolution mode supported by a TV, outputting at 1080p where possible and falling down to 720p if not.