Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Hi all,

I bought the AV adapter at the Apple store and a Mediabridge cable from Amazon even though I don't have an HDMI-capable TV at home yet.

I was in a hotel Saturday night and plugged the iPad 2 into a 46" LG. It has two HDMI jacks. I think the TV was fed by an in-house cable system. Anyway, the LG reported the input from the iPad as 1024x768 at 60Hz in mirror mode. The image didn't look all that good. I thought it was supposed to be 1080p. I then launched the Videos app and played a couple HD videos I purchased off the store. Again, 1024x768/60 Hz and not so good looking. Thought videos were supposed to be 720p. This can't be right. I couldn't find anything in the menus.

Thanks for any help. Maybe the LG wasn't setup properly. I'm going to try a few TVs at Best Buy.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Hi all,

I bought the AV adapter at the Apple store and a Mediabridge cable from Amazon even though I don't have an HDMI-capable TV at home yet.

I was in a hotel Saturday night and plugged the iPad 2 into a 46" LG. It has two HDMI jacks. I think the TV was fed by an in-house cable system. Anyway, the LG reported the input from the iPad as 1024x768 at 60Hz in mirror mode. The image didn't look all that good. I thought it was supposed to be 1080p. I then launched the Videos app and played a couple HD videos I purchased off the store. Again, 1024x768/60 Hz and not so good looking. Thought videos were supposed to be 720p. This can't be right. I couldn't find anything in the menus.

Thanks for any help. Maybe the LG wasn't setup properly. I'm going to try a few TVs at Best Buy.

it was not - the LG's in many hotels are locked out/modified for inputs - I have run into it several times - using a 42 LG at home and works fine...

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
it was not - the LG's in many hotels are locked out/modified for inputs - I have run into it several times - using a 42 LG at home and works fine...

The ports shouldn't be locked to a certain resolution. The iPad 2 mirrors only at 1024x768 and will only output 1080p if the app supports it like Real Racing 2.

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
The ports shouldn't be locked to a certain resolution. The iPad 2 mirrors only at 1024x768 and will only output 1080p if the app supports it like Real Racing 2.

According to a review at iLounge.com:

The iPad 2 appears to choose the best resolution mode supported by a TV, outputting at 1080p where possible and falling down to 720p if not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.