PDA

View Full Version : Need To Get This Computer Off DP1, Is Impossible (Update: In Fact Is Possible)

rmbrown09
May 16, 2011, 01:10 PM
Tried
1.) Installing SL from USB -- Apple logo and nothing
2.) Installing SL from DVD -- Apple logo, disc spins, nothing
3.) Download DP2 update, launch dmg from desktop. Get error: "This disk cannot be used to startup your computer" --> hint? This worked for my Air, just running off the desktop.

Possible issue, I installed Refit on this computer a long time ago (this is not my primary computer) and I think that it has messed with the EFI so that it cannot boot from things, how do you restore the stock EFI? should I delete something? I took the steps that the website gives to uninstall it.

WTF!?!??!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!!?!?

SideStepSociety
May 16, 2011, 01:35 PM
My understanding of rEFIt is that it doesn't actually modify stock EFI at all, it simply makes a sort of separate boot "drive", for lack of a better word, which it boots to and presents you with your different boot choices. Removing rEFIt as they suggest on the website should remove all traces of it.

Make sure the version of SL you're booting to is greater than or equal to the version your computer came with.

rmbrown09
May 16, 2011, 01:39 PM
My understanding of rEFIt is that it doesn't actually modify stock EFI at all, it simply makes a sort of separate boot "drive", for lack of a better word, which it boots to and presents you with your different boot choices. Removing rEFIt as they suggest on the website should remove all traces of it.

Make sure the version of SL you're booting to is greater than or equal to the version your computer came with.

Hm that could make sense then. I was using stock 10.6.0

Going to try 10.6.3 retail SL now, all I can get my hands on.

Update: Burned DP2 to DVD and am trying to install off boot. Has been loading with the spinning wheel and I can hear the disk going crazy for about 8 minutes.

Edit 2: loaded

Edit 3: Gave me the same error "This disk cannot BLAH BLAH"

Startup again, go to disk utility and don't be a complete dumbass, instead of repairing permissions repair the disk this time.
awesome.jpg