Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
I still have 45 gig left on my iPad.
Can't see myself needing this anytime soon.
My reason for getting an iPad, was to not have to haul around a laptop.
I certainly don't want to haul around another drive.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
too bad the app doesn't play non-iOS video files (mkv, etc). you would need another app and hopefully that app would see the drive.

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
while it nice to have options i really dont see the need for drives with this much storage. I mean is it really necessary to carry around your entire movie, music or photo library. I think 64gb is perfect if you want to haul around a bunch of media.

Payton3485

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
I personally can't wait for the release. I pre-ordered mine already. We have tons of media and being able to connect to it at anytime and anywhere is awesome. In terms of the size, I plan to keep it in my carry bag and access it from inside the bag so there is no additional item to be carried in my hand. Also, in terms of battery life, it lasts 5 hours without a charge and comes with a car and a/c adapter if needed. I have a 64gb iPad but still want more. Lol. To each their own however. :apple:

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
too bad the app doesn't play non-iOS video files (mkv, etc). you would need another app and hopefully that app would see the drive.

AirVideo should do that job nicely... it already does a great job of reading all kinds of files direct from my iMac remotely (internet or local network) so fingers crossed will be fine for the GoFlex too...

Saiz

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2008

The product spec sheet says that it should allow the iPad to play other video files through other apps if it supports the file.

For iPad
• Video: H.264 video, MPEG-4, Motion-JPEG
• Audio: AAC, MP3, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV
• Documents: Microsoft®
Office®
, iWork®
, Adobe®
Acrobat®
(PDF)
• Select file types supported by third-party apps

Source: Data Sheet

But I should be getting one to try out when they come out, and if the iPad 2 ever gets jailbroken this would be a great companion with xbmc on iOS.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
AirVideo should do that job nicely... it already does a great job of reading all kinds of files direct from my iMac remotely (internet or local network) so fingers crossed will be fine for the GoFlex too...

airvideo needs a CPU that can transcode, like your iMac. no such animal on a portable drive. heck you can't even install airvideo on a NAS box, let alone a USB drive.

Reevey

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
Can't wait for this to come to the UK. I'll be ready and waiting to hand over my money. It's a fantastic compliment to the iPad.

Gives me the chance to bring a bit of my movies etc with me where ever I go. Just fling it in my back and on the way :) Will go lovely with my ipad, macbook pro and iphone

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
That was a very constructive reply. NOT!!! :eek:

You're totally missing the point. 5 hours on the go is not a lot.

then you wont be needing one of these!

my point and you totally missed it was that no matter where you happen to be you can find a power source, whether that is a portable battery to tether off of, like My Power Batteries or perhaps in a car with an inverter to charge Where there is a will there is a any number of ways.

And five hours to me is a lifetime as I am not doing any expositions to the south pole this year where I have to concerned about being away from a power source for more than five hours at a time and if I was concerned, I simply get two!

riceguy

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Funny, I discovered airstash yesterday n thought how it could b improved, same technology integrated into a hard drive. Id like to see 3rd party china make just the adapter so I can stick my own hd in

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
then you wont be needing one of these!

my point and you totally missed it was that no matter where you happen to be you can find a power source, whether that is a portable battery to tether off of, like My Power Batteries or perhaps in a car with an inverter to charge Where there is a will there is a any number of ways.

And five hours to me is a lifetime as I am not doing any expositions to the south pole this year where I have to concerned about being away from a power source for more than five hours at a time and if I was concerned, I simply get two!

You are missing the point. If that was the case then people would not be complaining about the battery life of portable devices. What you say is not true. It's not always possible to have access to a power source. For example if I'm on a plane unless I'm travelling first or business class I'm not going to have access to a power source. If it's a long distance flight chances are 5 hours is not going to be long enough. You obviously live in some dream world where this is not an issue.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
You are missing the point. If that was the case then people would not be complaining about the battery life of portable devices. What you say is not true. It's not always possible to have access to a power source. For example if I'm on a plane unless I'm travelling first or business class I'm not going to have access to a power source. If it's a long distance flight chances are 5 hours is not going to be long enough. You obviously live in some dream world where this is not an issue.

Dream world, my friend, I carry portable power wherever I go and more than enough to last me at least an additional 14 hours on top of whatever the iPad is going to give me and this portable hard drive.

Besides, I can't imagine a situation, even going to Hong Kong from NY, with layobers, that I would not be able to get through the entire trip on the power I carry with me in my travel pak.

Also, your not going to say watch a movie from the portable hd anyway, why ouldn't you transfer to the iPad, wouldn't that be the more expedient thing, power wise?

jared1988

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2011
Fussa-Shi
Bump.

Does anyone have this yet? All the Internet reviews from such-and-such blog says it's decent but more than half of the reviews on Amazon are negative. Or are there alternative options besides the airstash and kingson wi-drove? Wanting a little clarity, thanks!

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I picked up the Satellite on Thursday and I am quite impressed with the device. transfer my entire iTunes library, ~300GB, in little less than an hour. the iPad picked up everything on the drive. I am disappointed in the iPad app though, no ability for playlists, no way to sort other than by name, so no ability to sort by artist/genre. Streaming is quite smooth, better than I expected. No issues with viewing 720p movies. hopefully Seagate will be able to update the iPad app to support playlists and sorting other than by name. also you cannot connect to the internet while you are connected to the Satellite as the Satellite is its own WiFi hotspot. you'll have to switch WiFi networks to get back on to the internet.

jared1988

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2011
Fussa-Shi
I picked up the Satellite on Thursday and I am quite impressed with the device. transfer my entire iTunes library, ~300GB, in little less than an hour. the iPad picked up everything on the drive. I am disappointed in the iPad app though, no ability for playlists, no way to sort other than by name, so no ability to sort by artist/genre. Streaming is quite smooth, better than I expected. No issues with viewing 720p movies. hopefully Seagate will be able to update the iPad app to support playlists and sorting other than by name. also you cannot connect to the internet while you are connected to the Satellite as the Satellite is its own WiFi hotspot. you'll have to switch WiFi networks to get back on to the internet.

That's perfect thanks. I drive everywhere in Japan and when I travel back to the states the 8gb itouch doesn't hold many movies for my kids to watch

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
also the Satellite app is a universal app and should work across all iDevices. I did not try this on my iPhone or iPod Touch gen2 so cannot confirm if it works.

swishbrade

macrumors member
May 1, 2011

Thanks for the skinny on this product.

By 720p movies, do you mean it streams mkv files as well?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.