Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamean

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Can you use the new 2011 iMac as an external display with MBA? Does target display mode work with MBA? I've heard it doesn't but some have said it does...

gellerby

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
FLA
Not yet

It will only work in Target Display Mode if connected via Thunderbolt to another Thunderbolt device which right now would only be the new MBPs.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
It will only work in Target Display Mode if connected via Thunderbolt to another Thunderbolt device which right now would only be the new MBPs.

Yep.

And you also need a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable - which doesn't exist yet.

So to answer your question OP - No. The 2010 MBA Will never be able to use the 2011 iMac as an external display.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Yep.

And you also need a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable - which doesn't exist yet.

So to answer your question OP - No. The 2010 MBA Will never be able to use the 2011 iMac as an external display.

Actually, yes, and no.

No, your 2010 MBA will never be able to use the 2011 iMac as an external display, via Thunderbolt.

And yes, your 2010 MBA can use your iMac as an external display, via Air Display, a wireless external monitor connection. In fact any Mac with Snow Leopard is capable of this. This is an awesome app, as I use it the other way around as you do; that is, my MBA is used as an extended secondary monitor for my iMac. Your second Mac will act exactly like a secondary display under system preferences. You can mirror, extend, and adjust arrangement however you'd like.

I've been using it for a couple of months now and its beautiful. Works exactly as advertised. It's still a bit buggy but it keeps improving with software updates, and I can tell you that it definitely works way better than it did when they first launched Air Display for Mac. Also, you'd think video content wouldn't be watchable over a wifi connection, but you'd be surprised :)

Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Grouse321

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
just logon and access needed files

Alternatively, if both computers are on the same network (and have same programs etc), you can just logon to the other computer and access required files working.

I do this often so that I can work on the imac but access files fro my MBP. It works so well I think I'll jump to a MBA next and try to do serious graphics work on the imac wherever possible and hence bypass the "power use" issues surrounding the MPA.

Only concerns I have now are;
1) How much will I miss a 17" monitor when going to a 13"
2) Can I live without backlit keyboard (not sure I want to, lets hope for the next refresh)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.