Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007

MacBookHero

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
did this work without any problems?

i too have a macbook6,1 and i was looking to get 8 gb ram, but i always thought 4gb was MAX? someone can kindly explain whats going on?

ithinkitsnice

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2010
did this work without any problems?

i too have a macbook6,1 and i was looking to get 8 gb ram, but i always thought 4gb was MAX? someone can kindly explain whats going on?

I've not done it yet, I'm waiting until payday, but people have found that the 6,1 can take up to 8GB RAM as opposed to Apple's official specs say. This isn't uncommon:

http://eshop.macsales.com/memory/maxram

I'm not sure what the reason for this is but I will be buying shortly and I'll post to confirm it works if you want to subscribe to the topic.

MacBookHero

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
oh ok, but i hear 32 bit cannot go more than 4gb ram? and our laptops are 32bit, maybe im wrong?

if all goes according to plan, ill be buying these ram sticks on friday!

ithinkitsnice

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2010
oh ok, but i hear 32 bit cannot go more than 4gb ram? and our laptops are 32bit, maybe im wrong?

if all goes according to plan, ill be buying these ram sticks on friday!

32bit does not limit you to 4GB total RAM. That's a windows issue I think. I'm sure Snow Leopard can use up to 32GB RAM in 32bit mode.

That said, I'm sure the 6,1 can run 64bit processes.

sinophilia

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
Italy
I have a Macbook6,1 2.26GHz and yesterday I installed my 2x4GB kit from Crucial. Works like a charm! I also replaced the HD with an SSD and the speed blows me away, even with a Win7 virtual machine running. Won't need to replace this computer for at least another couple of years now.

MacBookHero

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
I have a Macbook6,1 2.26GHz and yesterday I installed my 2x4GB kit from Crucial. Works like a charm! I also replaced the HD with an SSD and the speed blows me away, even with a Win7 virtual machine running. Won't need to replace this computer for at least another couple of years now.

im sorry to seem like a total idiot, but what is a HD and a SSD sounds interesting, also the 8 gb ram is getting me REALLY excited now, seeing how everyone hails the super fast performance!

ithinkitsnice

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2010
HD = hard drive

Installing an SSD is something I'm considering too. I'm a designer working with large files across a whole suite of apps and benefit from fast drives and lots of RAM. I work mainly off my mac pro desktop but it would be useful to able to utilise my macbook more, which is the idea here.

On a related point I've also seen kits to replace the optical drive with a second hard drive which I plan to do further down the line. Between the RAM boost and being able to work on separate physical volumes (or maybe RAID0 if I'm feeling dangerous) I can see this being faster than some stock MBP's at the tasks I need it to do. It's certainly going to greatly extend the useful life of the thing.

MacBookHero

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
this may be late but erm, what screwdriver did you use to open your macbook? the screws seem flat and none of mine work... ty :)

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
32bit does not limit you to 4GB total RAM. That's a windows issue I think. I'm sure Snow Leopard can use up to 32GB RAM in 32bit mode.

That said, I'm sure the 6,1 can run 64bit processes.

No it's a 32-bit issue. Windows and Linux and about every other BSD do not have the customized kernel that OS X does. Its those customizations that allow over 4GB and allow Apps to run as 64-bit and 32-bit at the same time.

Please don't spread information you don't understand.

calebcaleb

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2011
Help.

I have the same macbook model (late 2009), I thought that 4gb is enough but after installing vmfusion it made it clear to me that it isn't. 4Gb is Apple's recommended maximum memory on this specific macbook. How long have you had it? Any problems you encountered since replacing your memory? My current macbook boots in more or less a minute which I loathe. How fast is yours? THANKS!

calebcaleb

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2011
I have had 8 gigs in mine for well over a year and it works just fine

What kind of macbook do you have? Im thinking about which ram card should i get, crucial/owc/kingston/corsair, but for sure I need 8GB RAM. How fast does your machine boot up?

calebcaleb

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2011
My macbook is freakin slow.

k9t27r.jpg

This is how much time my macbook needs to completely boot the system before its completely functional. Will upgrading from 4GB to 8GB reduce that time. Also, I'll swapping my stock HD to WD scorpio black (750gb 7200rpm) as my new HD hoping that it will kick my system a little faster.

THANKS! in advance for all the help.

calebcaleb

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2011
Crucial 2x4GB ram didnt work.

After seeing all your posts I became interested on upgrading my macbook 6,1 2.26GHz. I bought the "CT2KIT51264BC1067" (2x4GB 204-pin SODIMM 512Mx64 DDR3 PC3-8500).

After I installed it, I power on my macbook and I'm getting beeps every 2 Secs as I recall. I think it cant recognize the modules I installed.
I also upgraded my HD to 750GB. I dont know that wouldve make any difference, cuz I'm not sure If BIOS thats preinstalled on stock HD recognizes 8GB of RAM.
help pls.
thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.