PDA

View Full Version : Made a big Mistake

berkleeboy210
Mar 14, 2005, 08:46 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new on the Boards to Post , but Read them Every Day and it's great Resource for Mac Users and Switchers.

Here's my delema...

I made the big mistake of buying a PC notebook with hopes of the G5 PB's to be released in the near future But that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon. I can't stand using a PC anymore so I sold it on Ebay for $1,000.

I also got 2 Credit Cards on the way so Here's how i'm thinking of Setting up my Macs for Music Studio Use in my Home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the Actual Home Studio:

Dual 2.0ghz G5 PowerMac Standard Config. Good deal w/ Edu Discount

For the Road and School (Berklee)
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz w/ SuperDrive and 768mb of Ram.

I will be running Garageband quite frequently, also Finale 2005, hopefully getting Reason 3.0, Logic, and Digital Performer on both Machines.

Just wanted to make sure the little but powerful 12" could handle all these intense apps. with 768mb or should I upgrade to 1.25gb?

Thanks folks!

Rob587
Mar 14, 2005, 08:55 PM
The pm will workout great, but if I were you id uprade to 1.256 instead of 768. Your gonna want all the ram you can get out of that puppy. This way you cant kick yourself later for not upgrading for just a miniscuel(no way thats spelled right) amount of of money in comparison to your other purchases.

Le Big Mac
Mar 14, 2005, 08:56 PM
The pm will workout great, but if I were you id uprade to 1.256 instead of 768. Your gonna want all the ram you can get out of that puppy. This way you cant kick yourself later for not upgrading for just a miniscuel(no way thats spelled right) amount of of money in comparison to your other purchases.

why bother with teh superdrive if you have one at home? Are you going to burn DVDs on the road as well?

berkleeboy210
Mar 14, 2005, 09:34 PM
why bother with teh superdrive if you have one at home? Are you going to burn DVDs on the road as well?

Good Point. Mayb I'll go w/ the Combo and save the extra cash for more ram.

jsw
Mar 14, 2005, 09:39 PM
It likely goes without saying, but get the RAM elsewhere for much, much less than Apple charges (i.e., order with base 512MB). You can probably sell the spare 256MB stick you'll be left with as well.

berkleeboy210
Mar 14, 2005, 10:01 PM
It likely goes without saying, but get the RAM elsewhere for much, much less than Apple charges (i.e., order with base 512MB). You can probably sell the spare 256MB stick you'll be left with as well.

Actually if I wanted to go with the 768mb It would only be an Extra $67, not too bad compared to typical Apple Charges for RAM upgrades.

I will indeed probably sell the extra 256 chip.... But are these compatible with the iMac G5's? cuz the family's iMac only has 256 in it and it kinda drags.

plinden
Mar 14, 2005, 10:28 PM
Actually if I wanted to go with the 768mb It would only be an Extra $67, not too bad compared to typical Apple Charges for RAM upgrades.

I will indeed probably sell the extra 256 chip.... But are these compatible with the iMac G5's? cuz the family's iMac only has 256 in it and it kinda drags.

No, the laptop's memory is 200 pin SODIMM and the iMac's is 184 pin DIMM.

blackpeter
Mar 15, 2005, 01:57 AM
Wow. I live down the road from Berkeley and lived in Boston for about eight years before moving out. Where in Beantown do you live?

Oh, and about the system, I would say that the Combo would be a better bet. Take that extra cash to Fry's in Concord and get the 1GB stick for $185. Both myself and two friends have had zero problems with this particular memory from Fry's.

kanker
Mar 15, 2005, 02:08 AM
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz w/ SuperDrive and 768mb of Ram.

I will be running Garageband quite frequently, also Finale 2005, hopefully getting Reason 3.0, Logic, and Digital Performer on both Machines.

Just wanted to make sure the little but powerful 12" could handle all these intense apps. with 768mb or should I upgrade to 1.25gb?

Thanks folks!I run Logic Pro 7 and Reason 2.5 on 1GHz 12"PB with 768MB, no problems.

berkleeboy210
Mar 15, 2005, 11:44 AM
Wow. I live down the road from Berkeley and lived in Boston for about eight years before moving out. Where in Beantown do you live?

Oh, and about the system, I would say that the Combo would be a better bet. Take that extra cash to Fry's in Concord and get the 1GB stick for $185. Both myself and two friends have had zero problems with this particular memory from Fry's.

I live in Charlestown, MA about 10-15 minutes from downtown.